Sign in to follow this  

tools for the trail

This has prob'ly been discussed before, but what do y'all carry with you on long rides? Thanks. -d

here's what in my tool packs all wrenches and hex tools that fit my bike,little vise grips,wrench for rear axel. xtra plug w plug wrench,spoke wrench, assorted nuts bolts for my bike.master links,insulated wire, wire cutter,electrical tape. zip ties.rear tube, tire wrenchs. co2 air kit,2 perches w levers,flashlight,lighter,xtra fuel hose,rag. I'm sure there is more misc crap in my pack but that's most of it when we ride other guys will carry either a front or rear tube so figure it out amongst yourselves. Not to mention 3 liter camel pack first aid kit, maps, tow rope.

have fun used a bit of this in moab last week

don't expect much to go wrong with a XR... there simply isn't much to break, and the motor is bullet proof. Figure what's worst case senerio you can fix in the feild? flat tire, and maybe some lever adjustments. I carry a couple of open end wrenches and allen wrenchs for good measure too.

I'm going to make a backpack with some tools in it that I can take when I go on longer rides. None of the trails I ride now take me farther than walking distance from the road (that's just how the trails are around me, kinda nice though to be able to ride a couple of different trails in one day). Tire irons, a set of metric wrenches, metric allen wrenches, spare tube, pump, is the kind of stuff I'll keep with me. Maybe a spark plug wrench and spark plug, just because it's cheap insurance (or if I drown my bike).

I always have to use my tools to help someone else...haha

This has prob'ly been discussed before, but what do y'all carry with you on long rides? Thanks. -d

Towing strap/rope! And if you've got an XR, the XR plug wrench.

If you've got a tow strap/rope, you can tow a disabled bike out - and that means you don't have to fix it on the trail. Believe me, there are times when you do not want to fix the miserable piece of s**t on the trail. :applause:

Don't ask how I learned this. Just make sure you take a tow strap/rope with you.

other than when my shifter shaft sheared off I had never used my tools on my bike.

jetz has a comprehensive (heavy) list but when you do breakdown it is almost guaranteed that the tool you need most is back at home.

A lot of times I am hours from my truck so I tend to carry a lot of stuff. Prepare for the worst and expect the best.

Wire splicers

Travel First Aid kit

Extra piece of fuel line-Used as fuel line or to blow crap out of the area around your plug if needed

Whistle -three blasts in a series is SOS

small screw driver incase your fuel screw falls out and lands on your motor and you are able to put it back in-yep it happened.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Many of the responses get to the heart of why I ride an XR... They're reliable. (I do carry the tow strap, however)

Any suggestions for an inexpensive fender pouch?

-d

a multi tool with a saw is nice to have. we went riding in the woods and the wind picked up and took a few trees down across the trail and so we were able to cut some of the limbs off with the multi tool and up over them

My best friend will not run barkbusters any more - he went over the bars and he broke his wrist because it was trapped inside them...

If you run barkbusters - you don't break as many levers etc. If you don't then it's really nice to have the front half of the clutch perch as a spare in the fanny pack. The stock levers don't break easily and in a crash the perch can snap off. No perch = no clutch and on a tight mountain trail - it's "interesting".

jeff