Sign in to follow this  

Another new TC250 report...

Well, I did it.

After reading through almost every thread I could find on the TC250, I brought an 07 home Saturday night and took it out for a ride Sunday on Hixon trail that robertataccio (sorry if I got that wrong) had posted earlier in the week.

My previous bike was a modded 04 CRF250X. While I was comfortable with it and it was fun to ride, it was also making me neurotically obsessive about checking the valves. So something different was in order.

The shop said the jetting should be good, so I believed them. Got home checked the bike over... hmmm, at least 50psi in the tires, I guess that didn't fall into any kind of bike setup. Had the bike in the truck to go ride on Sunday and thought I should check the air filter to see if I was sticky. Take the seat off, touch the filter and it falls down into the airbox. I guess that wasn't part of any kind of bike setup either to make sure the air filter was secured. That would've been just my luck to go for a ride and suck in large amounts of dirt through the carb because my air filter wasn't on. I was having my doubts about the jetting.

Anyway, on to the riding and comparisons. So far, the bike feels completely different than the 250X ergonomically. More racey. My 250X was very plush (stock suspension), where this bike was more stiff, but I was expecting that reading through the threads on how long it takes the front to break in. The front end wanted to tuck under in corners. That could be because the trails were dry and slippery and the stiff front end. It also seemed pretty twitchy to me, maybe also due to the stiff front end.

I can tell I'm going to have to change my riding style. On the 250X, it was a bike that was comfortable to sit down in the corners and other areas. I could get a little lazy with it and sit back. The TC, seems to be a bike that standing is better. Getting up in the tank and over the bars in corners more so than the 250X, again maybe due to the stiff front end.

I will change the oil and look at my jetting this week. I'm pretty sure it was off. The times when I did get on the main, it felt pretty soft, kind of bogged down a bit so I didn't really get on the main after that. I forgot what the jetting should be (I'll see if I can find that post). I seem to recall CowboyBob putting something down for this area. Was it 170-172 main, and 42 pilot? Needle position? I have a 65 leak jet left over from the 250X. It sounds like I should put that in.

I'm assuming the bike will be easier to start with the 42 pilot? I had to kick it over in quick successive kicks (like a starter motor) to get it to start when it stalled, or just trying to start it after stopping for a bit.

All in all, an interesting day. I was taking it easy and not knowing what to really expect. I think after making some changes, like cutting down the bars a little, I'll get more comfortable on it. I can see the potential. This is going to be a fun bike!

Next week we'll probably go to Amago. Since we did trails yesterday, our son didn't get to ride this weekend. He'll be wanting to go by next weekend and that's a good place for him. I think this bike will be great on the vet track there powerwise, we'll see about the suspension since that place gets pretty choppy.

Thanks for letting me ramble,

crazyhouse

After buying 3 new bikes in a year learned that tire pressure was the first thing to check.

My bike needed the Hot start to fire up when warm too much. I am running the pilot jet & fuel screw position leaner than most and the bike seems happy about that. An after market fuel screw is a good thing to have.

Never ever ever heard of the air filter issue you mention - that is just plain weird.

edit - if the front is twitchy - adjust the sag to lower the seat or put the tubes lower in the clamps.

When I got my '06 TE everyone told me that the forks would get better. I did not believe them but it is true. The TC I have now was used so they are excellent and broken in. You can go to a lighter oil in the forks as I think they still come with 10 wt. I doubt that they set your forks in the tripple clamps either. Now I can not remember if it is the second or third. Someone help. I am sorry to hear that your dealer did not take care of checking those items. That should not happen.

As these guys said, push your forks down in the triples so you are at the top line and go from there. That will fix the tucking under. these bike are very sensitive to fork position and sag.

K

Thanks for the replies.

I think the air filter was just a fluke. If you were to look at it, it appeared to be on. It was only when I went to touch it to see if any oil was on it that it was loose. Turned out the wingnut wasn't even threaded in it's hole.

I'm 5'6" so I tried to set the bike up so I could touch the ground a little easier. I had put the fork tubes up in the clamps to the second line on the tubes. The back end is set to about 4" sag. After starting out the ride, I ended up putting the compression clickers to all the way soft and slowing the rebound a little. I suppose I could put the tubes down to the first line, or play with the clickers some more.

If I changed the pilot to 42 would that make the bike easier to start without compromising the break-in? I talked to George from Uptite this morning to order a skidplate. He was saying I should keep the jetting as is for awhile longer while breaking in. Saying richer is safer. I didn't want to bug him too much since it sounded like he was pretty busy getting back to work after the Baja weekend.

crazyhouse