Sign in to follow this  

On the subject of noise---->

Off subject.....

Band brought a sound meter (from radio shack) out to the local seattle bar I frequent.

On a street with no cars and no personal activity the meter read +/_ 65-70 dBls around a quiet night in Green lake. It was a weird dead calm...yet it read higher than 45 dBls. *duh!*

I am planning on learning how to use my clubs soud meter, but I thought it was interesting. This meter was about $60 according to the guy who brought it if anyone is interested.

45 bBl my arse.

Is it a noticeable difference? Does it affect performance? I'm interested in having one on hand just in case somebody thinks I'm too loud. Be good to carry on an organized ride and for those areas where housing is moving in.

Very noticeable difference in sound. It was weird riding a bike that quiet. Power-wise, I need to do a back-to back on a track I am familiar with. I forgot to do it the other day. If there is a difference it wasn't very notiseable. However, I truly believe that even corked down a 450 has more power that almost any amateur rider needs.............

Why would you need one on a stock pipe:excuseme: Isn't a stock pipe quiet enough? Or is it like AirWolf in Wisper mode?

Why would you need one on a stock pipe:excuseme: Isn't a stock pipe quiet enough? Or is it like AirWolf in Wisper mode?

When you ride on the pipe, stock pipes aren't exactly quiet. Besides, even though my neighbors are very cool I don't see any reason why I shouldn't try and be as quiet as possible. Let's face it, performance four-strokes sound flat annoying.

Joe, they didn't have a tip for two-strokes that I know of. There sound doesn't seem to carry like the low frequencies of a four anyway...........

Joe, they didn't have a tip for two-strokes that I know of. There sound doesn't seem to carry like the low frequencies of a four anyway...........

That is correct. 2 strokes do not carry their sound as far, and as loud as four strokes. Generally, they are quiter, although, up close, they can be annoying with their higher pitched ring ding sound.

Out on the trail, my '04 KTM 250 EXC with stock pipe is very quiet, I've had a number of people tell me that they could not hear me coming until I was very close.

And good job on looking for ways to make our bikes quieter! -Ed

my buddies stock crf250r pipe is louder than my yz250f white brothers E2 pipe

I guess I'll save my $$ for new packing. What I notice going from a big bore 4 stroke to a 2 stroke is I can hear other bikes better. Mine screams when on the pipe, but most of the time is much quieter (I have the FMF Turbine Core Q series on my KTM300) than my XR650R or my buddy's 525. Funny how many think 4 strokes are less annoying than 2 strokes.... I think if you're talking many of the on/off/enduro bikes from the 80's or 90's with a stock pipe you're correct in this assumption, but the new 450F bikes are a different league. I bought a quiet insert for my 650 and if I owned a 450F I'd do it again. The little bit of top end you lose is worth the quiet ride. It actually helped with the low end. And if you hit a closed course (with friendly neighbors :applause: ) it takes about 2 minutes to take it out.

You don't but it does not hurt to be as quiet as possible:) I got rid on my CRF450, with the FMF pipe that thing was so loud I hated it! Next door to me a guy has one of those Honda 4 stroke quads all set up for sand and that thing is just as loud or worse than my CRF450.

When you ride on the pipe, stock pipes aren't exactly quiet. Besides, even though my neighbors are very cool I don't see any reason why I shouldn't try and be as quiet as possible. Let's face it, performance four-strokes sound flat annoying.

Bummer:( The 4 strokes I have for my wife and kids are super quiet as is. My KTM380's and the CR500 are the loudest bikes I have but all of them are far quieter than the CRF450 I had.

Joe...........

Airwolf was a TV show in the 80's and the main star was Jan Michael Vincent(spelling). I was kind of a corny show and the Helicopter "code name Airwolf" they could put in wisper mode and you could not hear it run.. Or was that Blue Thunder that had wisper mode.. ......? I dont know. All of a sudden I feel old.. No one else watched those shows?:applause:

Traktor, do you think there's a way to rig up a spark arrestor with that insert? I have a White Bros R4 pipe and the spark arrestor is right on the end, so I'd have to remove the exsisting screen to make it fit. But spark arrestors are required to ride trails here. What do you think?

Guys,

Michael was in communication heavily with Senator Kline the past few weeks, trying his hardest to enlighten him. I applaud his effort in this venture, as well as his effort at the national level with the AMA.

Welcome, I am glad someone is here to answer questions. I just bought one and like it, I don't have many answers other than that!

One thing I noticed, I would be cool if they could put an o-ring in where it seals against the muffler. I did it with mine and it worked great. Having a machined groove for it would be perfect.............

• Like 1

Welcome, I am glad someone is here to answer questions. I just bought one and like it, I don't have many answers other than that!

One thing I noticed, I would be cool if they could put an o-ring in where it seals against the muffler. I did it with mine and it worked great. Having a machined groove for it would be perfect.............

This is were writing the manufacturer and enlightening them to the "noise issue" would be useful. Giving them ideas is even better. If you have a problem rather than just complaining - provide possible solutions along with the problem. This type of letter (or email) gets a better response. :applause: Good idea, pass it on!