Sign in to follow this  

'93 DR650 stalling after waiting for stoplight

I can open the throttle instantly and it revs right up.

It idles, runs at half and full throttle perfectly.

The problem is if I sit idlling, say at a one minute stoplight, it stalls as soon as I turn the throttle.

I can cheat this if I only open the throttle a teeny-tinny bit, get th engine to rev and then all is ok until the next light.

I cleaned the carb, the diaphram "looks ok" and the plug reads like it is jetted just right.

I'm about to go and buy a new diaphram...

Opinions?

I can open the throttle instantly and it revs right up.

It idles, runs at half and full throttle perfectly.

The problem is if I sit idlling, say at a one minute stoplight, it stalls as soon as I turn the throttle.

I can cheat this if I only open the throttle a teeny-tinny bit, get th engine to rev and then all is ok until the next light.

I cleaned the carb, the diaphram "looks ok" and the plug reads like it is jetted just right.

I'm about to go and buy a new diaphram...

Opinions?

Is the bike stock? Is this a new to you bike or one you've had for a while? If its new to you check the bottom of the carb for the brass plug that covers the pilot screw, most DR's are lean on the pilot screw. Give us some more details on your bike and somebody will be able to help I'm sure :applause: And welcome to Thumpertalk, its a great place for just about anything you would want to know about the DR!!

I had the same problem. My solution was to lower the needle by taking the e-clip 1 notch closer to the top. Is no harm in trying this first before spending any money.

[is the bike stock? Is this a new to you bike or one you've had for a while? If its new to you check the bottom of the carb for the brass plug that covers the pilot screw, most DR's are lean on the pilot screw. Give us some more details on your bike and somebody will be able to help I'm sure And welcome to Thumpertalk, its a great place for just about anything you would want to know about the DR!!I've had the bike for years and have put up with this the whole time.]

TT2, thanks for the reply:

The bike is stock except for a supertrapp can with the minimum amount of disks (4 or 6, can't remember). No holes in the air box.

I had this same stalling issue with the too loud answer can that the bike came with 3 years ago.

The pilot jet screw is one turn out and I can jam the throttle open and she'll rev right up (if I don't let it idle for more than 30-60 seconds).

I've followed the advice about tuning the pilot jet here on thumpertalk and confirmed it with the quick throttle opening (the way I used to adjust my two strokes pilot jets) to come to this one turn out setting. I've tried different pilot screw adjustments as it seems that this should be where the problem is if it is a jetting issue, with no effect.

DRDave, cheers to you too:

Everything I know about jetting tells me it has nothing to do with the needle jet, which makes me have to try out your suggestion. Everything I know has got me nowhere so out to the garage I go. I'll let you know if it works.