Sign in to follow this  

KLR 250 Battery Eliminator

Hey guys, I just picked up a White Brothers battery eliminator from a friend and wanted to know of your experience with them? Will it hurt the bike in any way? I'm also trying to run a small handheld GPS off the system. Any problem with the GPS connected to the electrical system with a battery? Thanks in advance.

Gerry

I used one of these on my KLR250, and on my SR500 for years. They are zero maintainance, and as far as I can tell the only downside is when the engine stalls, the lights go out. Saves a few pounds though.

The KLR250 will have a very "lumpy" DC at idle with the battery eliminator though, the GPS might not like it. It might misbehave, it might turn itself off, etc. It might work fine.

The bike works totally fine though....

A fine point, but . . . isn't sustainability of lights for some time period, with a dead engine, a "street legal" requirement in some jurisdictions?

Then, perhaps, the "Don't know what's wrong, Officer; it just started acting this way!" defense.

Boring anecdote: In the '60's, to meet the "must have headlight" requirement for NHRA street-bike class drags, some bad dudes strapped CARBIDE LANTERNS (the kind miners used to wear on their caps) to their front forks, lighted 'em up, and dug out! (Don't know if a carbide lantern would qualify a bike as street-legal with the DMV, today.)

I wonder if the battery eliminator is some kind of capacitor?

I bought my KLR 250 started out with a dead battery. I rode it that way a month, given I had read that the bike would start fine dead battery or not. I then bought Yuasa but an old style (should have bought and AGM or absorbed glass mat type instead), and found the bike started better, I assume because volateg at kick start rpm was higher, but I also went through the carb in detail at the time. It is nice to have the lights without the motor running sometimes.

Thanks for the info guys. Here is what I found out through experience... The bike runs fine, blinkers slow down a pinch and the GPS will work fine UNTIL I stopped at a light with the brake light and headlight and turn signal and (drum roll please) the cooling fan kicked on! GPS went out like a light and no amount of revving was gonna get it to stay lit. It didn't hurt anything but it shutdown due to low voltage. The bike ran fine but the GPS said "bye bye..." Two thoughts on this. I can set the GPS to run off internal batteries when this occurs or reinstall the battery. I threw the battery back in for now.

PS: Yes the battery eliminator is just that, a big capacitor. It keeps the charging system from running full tilt and burning itself up.