Sign in to follow this  

RM80 conventional vs RM85 USD Forks for DRZ125

I have a dilema upon which I would appreciate some views.

I've finalised the deal on my 190 kit which is on its way and so my mind is now turning to soting the front suspension.

I was looking to do the RM85 USD forks and triples which are a direct swap. Typically pick up '3 - '04 set off ebay for approx $200 including triple trees and shipping to New Zealand.

.. but then a NZ dealer offered me some brand new '01 conventional forks (not USD)as used on the '89 - '01 RM80 for just $70 and no shipping required (These unit retail at $850+). These are Showa units but with the cast metal outers not the nice shiny extruded tubes.

I can pick up used triple tree clamps for about $40 landed in NZ so the '01 RM80 set up with new forks and triples would only be approx $110 (or I ive been offerre some full TAG triples which would make the fork and triple set up cost $170 all up and landed)

I think the USD forks look better and are 37mm. The conv RM80 forks are 35mm. The std forks are a punny 30mm. So both RM options are a good hop up.

I guess what I'm really asking is whether the Showa USD are that much better units to justify the extra coast and risk of buying used USD vs new conventional.

Im running a Works Performance Piggy Back rear shock and BBR springs to the std forksup front. The WP shock is pretty good. The std forks with BBR springs is very stiff and unresponsive.

Look forward to hearing some expert views that might stop me dithering! ... and rambling! :applause:

You gotta get the inverted forks. You can't have a 190 with "only" conventional forks! :applause: But really, they will be better performing, since they are much much stiffer than the conventional forks.

FYI, if you get '04 and earlier forks, you will also have to get a different brake rotor.

Thanks for that Kim. That is the way I'm begining to think too .. just need to sell those NOS conventional forks now! I have m eyes on an '02 USD front end that may do the trick. Just hate taking the risk on some 5 yr old forks when I have some brand new ones in my hands right now!