Sign in to follow this  

Oil Level on 2007 Model

Hi Guys

I have just completed an oil change ran bike drained all oil through various drainage bolts let drain for 40 mins.Left in old filter replaced oil with 900ml as per manual let bike run for 2 mins allow to cool, then checked level with bike in a level position and oil gushed out.What are you finding thanks

I have two RMZ250s, an 04 and an 05, I have found that if we fill the oil near the top of the glass on a stand, both engines will pump oil out. If we fill them sitting on the tires they do not. They seem to be very sensitive to the fill level, the engine hasn't changed that much, may the flames begin : ) , that I wouldn't expect this to change. Do the 07 still have the fill level glass? Use it to fill the engine and not only a measured volume.

No the 07 doesn't have the glass and I am very upset with the way they designed the check hole in behind the brake lever very bad design, but oh well I will have to deal with it.. They should in my opinion kept the oil check glass on there!!!!

Same deal here. as I start pouring in new oil its coming out of the check hole. Put the screw back in, dumped in approx 1/2 quart, opened screw & still pouring out. tried re-leveling bike 2x, let sit then checked again...still pouring out... never made a difference. Draining oil with every screw, plug & cap removed by the book???

From now on Im just going to warm up, drain oil & filter.. pour in one full quart and be done with it. Check screw seems useless. *BTW ..thus far this is my only valid complaint with the new rmz250. Love riding the bike.

Same deal here. as I start pouring in new oil its coming out of the check hole. Put the screw back in, dumped in approx 1/2 quart, opened screw & still pouring out. tried re-leveling bike 2x, let sit then checked again...still pouring out... never made a difference. Draining oil with every screw, plug & cap removed by the book???

From now on Im just going to warm up, drain oil & filter.. pour in one full quart and be done with it. Check screw seems useless. *BTW ..thus far this is my only valid complaint with the new rmz250. Love riding the bike.

if it allows for you verify that enough oil is in the bike when oil comes out of the bolt hole, then how is it useless? checking it before each ride to ensure that you had enough oil seems pretty useful. i agree that their approach is less than optimal, but to tell you the truth, i have become pretty comfortable with backing out the bolt until i see oil, turning it back, then riding the bike like i stold it!

I hear ya, the check bolt has its purpose... doesnt seem to accurate. From bone dry sump, I poor in 1/2 a quart, wait five minutes back the screw out and it drips??? I hate to second guessing myself thinking Im overfilling the case. My crf's were very accurate with same check bolt concept. Like you say worm... if its got oil... ride like you stole it! ...or til it smokes!!!!!!!!

So I take it from your replys you guys are reading the oil level by the over flow bolt and not runing your engines with 900ml of oil as per manual

I pour it till the oil comes out. Then I let it run for a little bit turn it off let it settle. Then open it and if it dosent leak then I pour more oil into it. Then run it and check it one more time and thats it.

I must be doing something wrong. As I pour oil its simultanously comes out the check hole? Sounds like yours doesnt do that? Is your bike on a lift stand or on ground?

I maybe stupid but i drain as best i can and then refill to the specified amount in the manual, i have never go on with the check hole idea.Never had a issue as yet, 50ml extra oil should not be a problem.

I have it on the ground I hold it straight while my dad holds pours the oil in. I have just stripped my checkbolt yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was in the shop today and cant pick it up today cause by the time I get there it will be closed so I am picking it up tommorow morining and going riding prolly sunday. They put a helacoil in there Idunno if im just gonna put in oil and check it or just pour it in? I dunno yet?