Sign in to follow this  

JV (Hammers) 17th-21st

If you are headed out to where the Hammer trails are located, then you will likely be staging on Means Dry Lake. There is usually a pretty large crowd on the lakebed this time of year. On the lakebed itself expect lots of kids on quads and dust. South of the lakebed is civilization. East and North of the lakebed is deep sand, sand whoops, and some sand dunes. West of the lakebed are hills, but minimal trails. If you can find your way up into the hills due North of the lakebed there are some pretty cool things to see. If you head Northwest from the lakebed and find the racecourse, you can find plenty of single track branching off of it.

Use Google Earth before you go and you can get an idea of the terrain and topography. The hills there have multiple ridges, so you kind of need to know which canyon you are in to keep your bearings.

Lots of old mines in the area if you know where to look.

But really, most of the good singletrack is in the Western and Central parts of Johnson Valley. Means Dry Lake is on the Eastern edge of Johnson Valley. There are plenty of opportunities to find decent trails, just not as many as the rest of the Johnson Valley area.

Forecast says high 70's, low 80's for next weekend, with lows in the mid 40's.

If you get up into the hills that I was talking about you will find it to be in the 90's between the two large ridges. It's all black rock up there and no air movement, gets very hot. I was watching the gas boiling in my XR tank a few weeks ago, and it was in the 70's that day.

Just be aware that when you get up in those wide high canyons that the temperature can be much higher than in the flats where there is some air movement and no black rock.