Sign in to follow this  

Another 'Death Wing' victim

Hi all, lot's of talk about the dreaded 'Death Wings' on this forum and I thought how bad can they be? Got out for the first time on my new to me '03 S yesterday and . I got into some greasy stuff and the mud stuck to these things like shit on a blanket. Yes I went down, but it was one of those slow motion get-offs, no damage to bike or rider (bruised ego)

I was riding with a guy on a brand new DR 650, also with stock 'Death Wings', he laughed at me when I went down and then proceded to bite it about 30 feet later.

Thanks for all the posts about these tires, next time I'll listen. :applause:

I was riding with a guy on a brand new DR 650, also with stock 'Death Wings', he laughed at me when I went down and

I would say you had a right result, not only did you and the bike survive ok, but

you also got to laugh at somebody as daft as you.

There is no need to learn this lesson the hard way, we have all done it in the past so you don't have to :lol:

Neil. :applause::lol::eek:

Oh NO...!

I was just thinking the other day how I couldn't understand what is so bad about them. Know they aren't good for dirt or mud or street but ..... hey ....so far so good......

As long as the trail is dry and rocky, the deathwings are really not too bad, thrown in a little moisture and look out!

As long as the trail is dry and rocky, the deathwings are really not too bad, thrown in a little moisture and look out!

Yep... it was mud that did me in... oh once in snow too. Don't dump them though... they're pretty good street tires. Though not as good as the Avon Distanzias. Need dot knobbies for the rough stuff.

In my case moisture = grass (any length)

Oh NO...!

I was just thinking the other day how I couldn't understand what is so bad about them. Know they aren't good for dirt or mud or street but ..... hey ....so far so good......

Yeah I know what you are saying. However, one fine day you will be just cruising around, and when you least expect it, next thing you know the bike will disappear from underneath you and at the very instant your butt is slamming into the dirt the thought will be going through your head, "so this is why they call them deathwings :applause: "

i can atest to the fact they suck in the sand ...

as soon as i can afford some better tires i am .. but i am still using a

25 year old Bell Moto 4 helmet ... need to replace that 1st :-)

i can atest to the fact they suck in the sand ...

as soon as i can afford some better tires i am .. but i am still using a

25 year old Bell Moto 4 helmet ... need to replace that 1st :-)

I'd live with the old helmet. Get some decent tires on the bike. I know guys that have broken bones trying to ride with the damn things. prairiedawg:ride:

21" Deathwing = football target

18" Deathwing = chew toy for rottwieler

The tires still have the painted lines on them. Glad to hear you didn't get hurt.

Defiantly. I liked them on the street but I like to have knobbies too.

Aren't deathwings good for street use?

The ride to and from the trails was actually pretty good. Gave me that false sense of maybe these tires aren't so bad. They will not be on the bike for the next ride. Rottweilier chew toy sounds like the perfect use for them. :applause:

MM