Sign in to follow this  

inner chamber question?

on the tc showa fork, i've had to replace the little seal on the ic bushing a couple of times after finding the chamber is not holding pressure properly. this is on 06 and 07 honda stuff. its becoming a pain and i was wondering if anyone has found this too. is it something i'm doing wrong at disassembly or is this just a common thing and the seal is easily damaged?

i've also found this on a set of forks i took apart for seal change, where the inner cartridge has lost a lot of its oil to the outer chamber. after replacing this bushing seal all is well again.:applause:

any ideas where i might be going wrong? too much oil in the chamber when fitting the compression damper maybe?:lol:

have these forks been apart before? i ask as i generally refrain from removing the damper rod on them as it can cause damage to the seal with the sharp edge of the threads, i know some people smooth the thread edge but i think its best to not risk the damage.

they have been, mog, but thats not the seal i mean. its the one on the compression base valve, in the sliding bushing. i think its called a gas seal. i can tell its no good beacuse when refitting the base valve the build up of pressure is poor when threading in the damper.

i've done the old ptfe tape and grease routine when refitting the rod.

btw, the revalve job on the shock with 4 extra lsr shims and 3 lsc shims worked well i thought. i just have to work out how to make the forks more supple but not softer, if that doesn't sound stupid. what do you think, attack the base valve or mid valve?