Engine Oil

As long as you change the oil & filter at arround 1000 miles or earlier and it was hot when drained,car oils will work fine,NO ENERGY CONSERVING OIL at all should be used,clutch problems if you do.just my 2cts:prof: :thumbsup::eek::D

:eek: For me 1000 miles on a air cooled is plenty,my drz gets changed every 500 miles,my fz1 gets changed at the 1500 because it holds more than the drz.i use 15w40 delo in the fz,st30 in the drz,just my 2cts,to each there own...:D:thumbsup:

Wow.....some of you really waste oil!!!!!!!:confused:

wow, I started this thread over a year ago! Thanks for the many replies!

I think that most of us are more concerned about the oil we put in our bikes than the food we put in our bodies ! :confused:

I am sorry to say that I don't yet have 3,000 miles on my '06 DR650. I do plan on racking up some miles this season though.......and am thinking, after reading this thread, around 4,000 miles going to a synthetic. Thanks all for the replies!

Ok, so it seems that quite a few people are talking about putting a thousand miles on an engine before you change oil. But I don't see anybody posting up about putting in 20W-40 Rotel in a dirt bike engine, and now long they ride before changing oil.......

After reading the NightRider thread, I'm more inclined to go get some 20w-40 Mobil 1 oil for my WR250F and change that every 3 - 4 4hr rides......

any thoughts

Ok, so it seems that quite a few people are talking about putting a thousand miles on an engine before you change oil. But I don't see anybody posting up about putting in 20W-40 Rotel in a dirt bike engine, and now long they ride before changing oil.......

After reading the NightRider thread, I'm more inclined to go get some 20w-40 Mobil 1 oil for my WR250F and change that every 3 - 4 4hr rides......

any thoughts

I've used Mobil 1 (car) in all of my bikes and vehicles for a number of years with no issues. My used DR650 had 6K miles on it when I bought it. I changed to Mobil 1 as soon as I got it. It now has almost 14k miles on it. My clutch does not slip. I did try the "motorcycle specific" Mobil 1 in my bike ($8 per quart) I'm happy to report it didn't make my clutch slip either. :confused: A 6 quart case of Mobil 1 (car) at Costco is about $26. I did the math......

I've used Mobil 1 (car) in all of my bikes and vehicles for a number of years with no issues. My used DR650 had 6K miles on it when I bought it. I changed to Mobil 1 as soon as I got it. It now has almost 14k miles on it. My clutch does not slip. I did try the "motorcycle specific" Mobil 1 in my bike ($8 per quart) I'm happy to report it didn't make my clutch slip either. :confused: A 6 quart case of Mobil 1 (car) at Costco is about $26. I did the math......

+1

I also use the Mobil1 15W-50 silver cap car oil in my bikes. It has been used in my Aprilia for at least 25,000 miles with no clutch or engine problems at all. The Aprilia now has 34,000 miles on it. Before that I used the Mobil1 20W-50 V-Twin motorcycle oil, I could'nt tell any difference except in the price.

The motorcycle oil was $8.00 a quart and the silver cap in the 5 quart jug from Wal-Mart is $4.00 a quart.

The Mobil1 is in the DR650 now and has been for 3,000 miles and I suspect it will perform as well in it as it has in the Aprilia.

I change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

Synthetic is great for any motor, but what about the clutch that is set up for normal oil, check with factory specs'

Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil.... Full Syn...wet clutch compatible, I like it

It is more money though!!

Ive used the "Bel-Ray Thumper" synthetic blend oil in my DR650 since the first oil change.Ive used Bel-Ray products in and on my bikes for over twenty years and personally think its one of the best available.

Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil.... Full Syn...wet clutch compatible, I like it

It is more money though!!

I also use the Amzoil 10W40 and after using Rotello, Rotello Syn & Belray, I preferr the Amzoil. Downshifting is much better and Oil usage is non-existant. I break in my bikes by loading the rings w/ RPMs and switch to SYN at 1000 miles. My mileage is running 60MPG, no problems.

Motoretro

Amen on the bel-ray thumper oil. Some of you really wast oil, I change the bel-ray thumper oil every 3 to 4,000 miles and it still looks new!

Some of you guys that are changing oil every 1000 or so miles are defeating the purpose of having detergents in the oil.

Your oil is supposed to come out looking dirty, that tells you the detergents are doing their job and cleaning out the insides. changing your oil so often isn't letting the detergents activate and start cleaning.

Just something to think about, sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead.

Just something to think about, sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead.

Naaah, that's OK... we were way overdue for another oil thread!

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup::busted: 2 each his own,air cooled engine-1000 miles or less,non syn yet still under 4000 on the dr.drz gets changed at the 500 mile mark or sooner cause thats used just for dirt.i figure it gets abused more,clutchless shifts,water crossings,all that good stuff.:ride: :ride: :busted:
Hello Dave,

I run Amsoil 10W-40 Motorcycle oil in mine year round, don't worry about the miles but change it in December & June; of course this was after break in.

By the by I'm in South Central Mt. where abouts are you located?

Gary

Holy crap... howdy neighbor. I was in Missoula for a bit, but now I'm in Billings. I didn't really expect to see anyone from around here on the furums.

Synthetic oil is great for temperature extremes as it will not break down and lose it's lubricating properties. example, very hot working temeratures, hot ambient temp with stop & go traffic, especially on air cooled engines. They also have a longer change interval. However, organic oil has come a long way with todays technology. It's been fortified to resist temperature extremes, foaming, solidification and a whole lot more. As of June 2008 the current standard for motor oil is SM.

Notwithstanding, they each have an advantage. Synthetic oil is more durable and last longer. By longer I don't mean 10,000 miles.

Organic oil is a lot cheeper and good Quality, if you get the SM grade. Also, remember this, every time that you change your oil, you are taking dirt out of your engine. Therefore, If you use organic oil and change it regularly you should have a clean engine. On the opposite side, if you use synthetic oil because it has a longer change interval and ride in dirty & dusty conditions you may have that dirt in the engine for a long time.

This is just my opinion, check with the experts for the correct type & weight oil and change intervals.

Stay well, ride often.

Noob ? I just got a 91 Dr650s and it still runs like a champ at 26k miles. Only thing is time for an oil change because I felt the clutch start to slip and the oil is black. It also lost a lot of power in the month or so I have had it because if it I believe. Can I use synthetic in this old oil cooler engine or is that a bad idea? I was going to go with Shell Rotella as some stated because I am is a lot of traffic sometimes and the engine can heat up bad. Posted vid on youtube if you like to see it. Not crunk vid yet but will have one in a day or 2.