Sign in to follow this  

dust in the air filter box!!!!

Hello

i just bought a second hand 07 with very low hours and found that didn't have any oil on its air filter. In the box there is a little bit of dust. I am going to clean the box, carb and change oil/filter.....I just checked valves. Exhaust and intakes were perfect Thanks god!!! But is there anything else I should do?

Thanks very much for your comments

Hello

i just bought a second hand 07 with very low hours and found that didn't have any oil on its air filter. In the box there is a little bit of dust. I am going to clean the box, carb and change oil/filter.....I just checked valves. Exhaust and intakes were perfect Thanks god!!! But is there anything else I should do?

Thanks very much for your comments

Was the dust in the air box, or past the air filter in the intake tract near the carb?

Yes not good if inside air boot to carb. If only in air box outside filter all is fine. But if inside air boot better check carb and clean all jets. after that make sure and change oils and oil filter often also air filter. You should just go buy a airfilter or two and keep them oiled and ready to go. Keep an eye on the valves.

Grease the rim of your air filter as well and take extra special care to make sure you've got a good seal all the way around.

One thing I do is to apply a light coat of white grease inside the entire airbox. I clean it with solvent first to get all the old grease and dirt out, then just wipe a light coat inside the box. This traps all the loose dirt before it can even get to the filter. Maybe it works and maybe it doesn't, but I've been doing this for 20 years and have yet to even see dust inside the airboot.