Sign in to follow this  

Opinions-06 F250 6.0 Diesel-More power!!!

I bought a F250 4x4 6 months ago and have 6k miles on it. I recently purchased a 36ft. 5th wheel toy hauler with a dry weight of 9500lbs. (dry). When filled it was fine on the roads and small inclines but slowed to about 45 mph on the steep inclines (Cajon Pass). I am ready to add a exhaust, air intake and or a chip but am worried about my extended warranty. I would like to know what items work best and if there are any that do not void the warranty. What does Ford recommend for more power ?

As far as programmers id go with a banks 6 gun or the Edge performance controllers. An intake as well as exhaust will help make it breathe a lot better and also add some more power. Bully dog and Banks makes nice performance packages so you might want to look into that. I think any modifications may tamper with the factory warrenty.

If you are gonna chip it, make sure you get a better flowing exhaust.

Your EGT's are gonna go through the roof if you increase boost and don't deal with the increased temperatures.

You could always upgrade the exhaust and the air intake and try that before you chip it. Shouldn't have any warranty problems. The diesels respond very well to better breathing.

With a turbo back banks exhaust I get 2 more pounds of boost. I would not mess with the edge if you want any dependability at all. I would leave the motor and go with the intake/exhaust and maybe gears.

MBRP Xhaust... don't use edge,banks,bully dog crap.. There all just a piggy backs and just fool the computer.. Get the CT flash programmer. It puts a new program in the computer..

If you want to run EDGE i have a juice platinum with A2 controller I'll sell you!

http://www.sctflash.com/

I know the guy who did this diesel shoot out from www.thedieselstop.com This test was on his own and had no influence by any of the manufactures when he did this shootout.

http://www.sctflash.com/shootout.php

Go with the SCT (they have codes that it makes hard for the dealer to recognize that you have a programmer), MBRP exhaust, and a AFE airfilter.

If you want good information go to the thedieselgarage.com

Go with the SCT (they have codes that it makes hard for the dealer to recognize that you have a programmer), MBRP exhaust, and a AFE airfilter.

If you want good information go to the thedieselgarage.com

The winning set up:applause: You will be very blown away:eek: with the power it will have. Nothing like over 420hp at the rear wheels.

NO,NO,NO:naughty: Sorry gang.....All bad ideas. The trucks engine warranty is 5 years or 100k miles from the factory. Changes to the air intake and or the exhaust system effects the vgt turbo charger operation and will cause major problems. A cat back system is fine but will only change the trucks sound level/tone. Xr400,what fuel are you using? Any additives? When your under full load whats the boost gauge reading? Whats the actual loaded weight? Has a dealer looked at your vehicle for this concern? How high is this pass? There is a known concern for lacking power towing over 5k high. FYI....None of the aftermarket junk is worth it. :eek: Lets address the actual concern not bandaid it with trash :applause:

• Like 1

I bought a F250 4x4 6 months ago and have 6k miles on it. I recently purchased a 36ft. 5th wheel toy hauler with a dry weight of 9500lbs. (dry). When filled it was fine on the roads and small inclines but slowed to about 45 mph on the steep inclines (Cajon Pass). I am ready to add a exhaust, air intake and or a chip but am worried about my extended warranty. I would like to know what items work best and if there are any that do not void the warranty. What does Ford recommend for more power ?
NO,NO,NO:naughty: Sorry gang.....All bad ideas. The trucks engine warranty is 5 years or 100k miles from the factory. Changes to the air intake and or the exhaust system effects the vgt turbo charger operation and will cause major problems. A cat back system is fine but will only change the trucks sound level/tone. Xr400,what fuel are you using? Any additives? When your under full load whats the boost gauge reading? Whats the actual loaded weight? Has a dealer looked at your vehicle for this concern? How high is this pass? There is a known concern for lacking power towing over 5k high. FYI....None of the aftermarket junk is worth it. :eek: Lets address the actual concern not bandaid it with trash :applause:

El Cajone Pass (the one he is speaking of) is 4257 ft above sea level, and in the 18 miles from San Bernadino, I-15 climbs roughly 3100 ft, in desert temps, and a constant pull, sections which are 7%, which causes alot of heat.

Your truck weighs roughly 6,000 lbs, trailer another 9500 lbs, now start adding water, fuel, toys, camping gear, and bodies, and the numbers climb very rapidly-pulling Cajon Pass fully loaded at 45 mph with this combo is normal, I see tons of guys who pull Cajone alot slower than that, with less weight on.

Head farther up I-15, (Baker grade or Mt Pass) and start counting the # of modded trucks towing TH's on the grades cooling off-making power creates heat, and unless you do something to dissipate the heat, then you have done nothing more than create a blown motor waiting to happen.

El Cajone Pass (the one he is speaking of) is 4257 ft above sea level, and in the 18 miles from San Bernadino, I-15 climbs roughly 3100 ft, in desert temps, and a constant pull, sections which are 7%, which causes alot of heat.

Your truck weighs roughly 6,000 lbs, trailer another 9500 lbs, now start adding water, fuel, toys, camping gear, and bodies, and the numbers climb very rapidly-pulling Cajon Pass fully loaded at 45 mph with this combo is normal, I see tons of guys who pull Cajone alot slower than that, with less weight on.

Head farther up I-15, (Baker grade or Mt Pass) and start counting the # of modded trucks towing TH's on the grades cooling off-making power creates heat, and unless you do something to dissipate the heat, then you have done nothing more than create a blown motor waiting to happen.

I have had no heating up problems while going up grades with my modded truck and toyhauler. But then again I don't go riding in the desert when its HOTT.

EECTECH,

I run Shell diesel and I am trying an additive from RBP that has Cetane in it http://www.rollingbigpower.com/products/?&productID=180 This is my 3rd tank full and havent really noticed a difference. I am in CA and we have the ultra low sulfer diesel. I have been told that if you put a high flow air filter on you diesel, your MAF will detect it and note it on the computer that will void your warranty ? I wonder what Ford would say if I asked them what they suggest. They do all those Roush upgrades for the F150 and the Mustangs there should be something that they would recommend ?

Heres what I would recomend,take your truck into your local dealer for the latest calibration update for this type of concern as per tsb 07-02-07. When you are there,pick up fords fuel additive part# pm-17-a. Our trucks "I have an 07 350 c/c" come with one of the best air filters out there for keeping dirt out of your engine,change it every 25k miles using only the factory replacement part. Dirt entry into the air intake is the fastest way to kill any diesel engine. High flow air filters and exhaust systems effect the exhaust backpressure sensor that is one of this trucks main inputs for its vgt turbo charger. So,an aftermarket high flow air filter and or exhaust system will effect your warranty when it causes a problem "note,I said when,not if" It will cause problems. Then you get stuck with the repair bill. Keep it stock,protect your investment. :applause:

My story: I have a 2003 Excursion with the 6.0L. I put a chip in it and at 13k miles the engine grenaded with the crank shaft breaking (this was a problem on the early ones). Ford covered it under warranty even with the chip in it and put a 2005 remanufactured motor in. On the new motor I left the chip out and put an Air Raid intake and Magnaflow exhaust on it which made a nice difference in power by letting it breath. At 20k miles the intercooler blew out and Ford replaced it, and about 5k miles later it blew again. This was caused by a bad turbo (sticking) that was overboosting and I believe this is what blew it out the first time. Ford put a another new intercooler and turbo in this time. I put boost and EGT gages in after that to keep an eye on things. I now have 42k on it and it runs great. I do recommend the air intake mod and exhaust but I stay away from the chips. I tow a 26ft Weekend Warrior loaded with 2 quads and 2 bikes and it pulls fine. Ford has stood behind the product without question regardless of the mods. I intend on keeping it for a year or two longer (until I reach 99,999 miles) and then I will have to decide between the new Ford 6.4L or switch to GM.

My story: I have a 2003 Excursion with the 6.0L. I put a chip in it and at 13k miles the engine grenaded with the crank shaft breaking (this was a problem on the early ones). Ford covered it under warranty even with the chip in it and put a 2005 remanufactured motor in. On the new motor I left the chip out and put an Air Raid intake and Magnaflow exhaust on it which made a nice difference in power by letting it breath. At 20k miles the intercooler blew out and Ford replaced it, and about 5k miles later it blew again. This was caused by a bad turbo (sticking) that was overboosting and I believe this is what blew it out the first time. Ford put a another new intercooler and turbo in this time. I put boost and EGT gages in after that to keep an eye on things. I now have 42k on it and it runs great. I do recommend the air intake mod and exhaust but I stay away from the chips. I tow a 26ft Weekend Warrior loaded with 2 quads and 2 bikes and it pulls fine. Ford has stood behind the product without question regardless of the mods. I intend on keeping it for a year or two longer (until I reach 99,999 miles) and then I will have to decide between the new Ford 6.4L or switch to GM.

:eek: Stock 6.0l's dont break crankshafts,see thats what happens when you mod your truck. Like I siad,its not if but when. I use mine to tow over a 5400ft pass from 500ft. Fully loaded its 14k and has no problem staying at or sometimes slightly above:naughty: the posted speed limit. Our freinds haul a 42ft toy hauler and stay right with us. Both trucks are bone stock with only air bags added,his is a 05 crewcab 4x4 and mines an 07 crewcab 4x4. There is no need to mod a powerstroke diesel for towing:thumbsup: Fix the actual problem with xr400's truck and he will be happy with alot less down time in the shop vs being stuck with the bill. Sure,you got lucky with warranty picking up the tab that time,try the same thing today. Alot of us mod our bikes and mess around with them but this is no 6k bike,its a 40-50+k truck and its engine will cost around 15k to replace. I have driven trucks with about every possible mod done to them and have yet to be impressed. Normaly it causes more problems and my bone stock truck would out tow them all day long.......its seems the same mod happy crowd are also the ones that dont change their oil for 7k and dont replace fuel filters at the 15k recomended....oh no, they wait till 40k :applause:

eectech.I too am in the same boat. I get smoked by my buddies ram when pulling grades.He has a much larger toy hauler than me.

We only have about 1300 miles on the truck and have had it new for about six months.How would I know If the latest updates have been done?

06 F350 srw

Wishing I would have gotten another ram:cry:

The tsb is 07-02-07 so its rather new,there is a build date split for this calibration but if your truck has not been in for a lacking power when towing "high alt" odds are you dont have it and if its getting out pulled by a ram your truck maybe one of the effected calibrations. btw....whats the alt,speed and weight? Additives,fuel,boost at the time? :applause:

Alt.500-5000

I Think the toyhauler is 9,000-10,000 loaded

speed on the floor 45 mph

boost 25+

No additives

BTW. Thanks for the info

Also what is a good rpm to pull at, or a max rpm