Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 to RMZ250...

I am thinking about getting a 2007 RMZ250. I am a 36yr old physician and I only ride for fun even though I can keep up with the much younger guys still. I just do not care to race anymore. I love my 450, but I think the 250f would be more fun. I have ridden a friends 06 YZF250 with big bore kit, cam, exhaust and suspension. I loved it. I may still get the YZF but I have heard good things about the RMZ. A friend has an RMZ450 and it turns awesome, but I cannot get used to the 4spd. I am 6'1 200 so I plan on adding a big bore kit, cam, hi-comp piston and mild porting and exhaust. I will probably add a stronger rod to the crank while I am at it. Anyway, has anybody else come off a 450 onto the 2007 RMZ250? What do you think? Thanks... :applause:

If you liked the way the RMZ450 handled, you should also enjoy the handling of the 2007 RMZ250, as the chassis is closely based off the 450. I don't have any experience with the 2007 RMZ250 engine, but the 2004 was a decently powerful bike, had a good mid range powerband, but I did not care for the chassis. With the 2007 that should be much better and no doubt the motor will be much more potent.

I am thinking about getting a 2007 RMZ250. I am a 36yr old physician and I only ride for fun even though I can keep up with the much younger guys still. I just do not care to race anymore. I love my 450, but I think the 250f would be more fun. I have ridden a friends 06 YZF250 with big bore kit, cam, exhaust and suspension. I loved it. I may still get the YZF but I have heard good things about the RMZ. A friend has an RMZ450 and it turns awesome, but I cannot get used to the 4spd. I am 6'1 200 so I plan on adding a big bore kit, cam, hi-comp piston and mild porting and exhaust. I will probably add a stronger rod to the crank while I am at it. Anyway, has anybody else come off a 450 onto the 2007 RMZ250? What do you think? Thanks... :applause:

I have 450F's and 250F's. The 07 RMZ250F is very fun and agile bike to ride. Cornering and overall handling of the bike is excellent. Much more agile than a 450F. The power is very good low to mid so it is a fun 250F to ride and does not feel slow. I rode an 07 RMZ450F and I liked the cornering but I think the RMZ250F corners better due to it's lighter weight. Would be interesting to try a big bore RMZ250F!

quick background: 6'1", 195 lbs. Novice-intermediate skill level. Ride exclusively MX at Del Valle, Cross Creek, Cycle Ranch & 3 Palms (i recognize your username from TON, so i thought i would give you a point of reference track wise). My first bike was a CRF450R, then I bought an 06 YZ450F and an 06 YZ250F (girlfriends bike).

after getting tired of coming off the track and watching my friends on 250s continue to put in laps while i was recovering from trying to handle my YZ450F, i found myself riding my girlfriends stock YZ250F. when i made the decision to bump down to a 250F, i rode every 06 250F and the 07 KTM 250SX-F. having come from the YZ450F, the YZ250F felt the best to me, even though it was still short on power compared to a 450F... after the initial reviews describing the power on the RMZ250, i decided to chance it because the reported low end power. I ABSOLUTELY MADE THE BEST DECISION (FOR ME) BY CHOOSING THE RMZ.

it has enough grunt out of the corner to easily pull the front wheel of the ground, handles like a champ, and is just plain easy to ride. put a pipe on it, and the amazing bottom end is carried to the top. the power is the most 450-esque of all the 250Fs. your weight is going to require stiffer srpings at a minimum (i am soon going to send mine of to Pro Circuit), and the stock gearing is too low for everything other than del valle.

out of the box, i still think the Yamaha is a better bike for most riders that dont intend to modify their bikes. if you plan on appropriately gearing your bike to tracks/conditions and making power mods, then I think the Suzuki is a hands down the best platform out there...

Thanks for the input. I plan to go with .46 up front and 5.6 out back first thing. I will stick with stock valving for now. I have already priced the RMZ and plan on getting one soon. I will also add a yosh exhaust right off as well. The BB kit will come but probably not until the first piston change. These Florida tracks arent well suited for my 450. :applause:

Thanks for the input. I plan to go with .46 up front and 5.6 out back first thing. I will stick with stock valving for now. I have already priced the RMZ and plan on getting one soon. I will also add a yosh exhaust right off as well. The BB kit will come but probably not until the first piston change. These Florida tracks arent well suited for my 450. :applause:

let us know what you think about that yosh pipe. when i bought my fmf, i also ordered a yosh, but it went on backorder. i was going to do a back to back test. after installing the FMF 4.1 w/megabomb, i was so impressed that i cancelled the backordered yosh...the fmf added to the bottom end while opening up the top. i guess i was so impressed that i figured that the yosh, at best, would be equal...plus when i called the yosh, the tech told me that it wouldnt make a difference down low, but rather would beef up the upper RPM range...

one thing is, you will have to get the rear rebound damping revalved, i ended up at 2 out on reb and this was with the std springs, with a 5.6 its just going to be way too fast on rebound, sorry but its the only real flaw the rmz has, and fitting a stiffer spring will make it worse.

the rebound stack is super soft, and this proves i am not talking crap about its fast rebound, its a silly setting.

one thing is, you will have to get the rear rebound damping revalved, i ended up at 2 out on reb and this was with the std springs, with a 5.6 its just going to be way too fast on rebound, sorry but its the only real flaw the rmz has, and fitting a stiffer spring will make it worse.

the rebound stack is super soft, and this proves i am not talking crap about its fast rebound, its a silly setting.

Yeah, I heard about the rear susp problems. I may end up getting some susp work done all at once.

TDC, the yosh on my 450 sure adds a lot to the low end compared to the Leo Vince I had.

Yeah, I heard about the rear susp problems. I may end up getting some susp work done all at once.

TDC, the yosh on my 450 sure adds a lot to the low end compared to the Leo Vince I had.[/quote

Davbrucas, I usually don't troll on the suzuki forum, but i was searching threads on exhausts for 07 yzf250's and stumbled across this thread.

I applaud your thoughts on downsizing as the change should prolong your riding career. That being said, you'll have to change your game some to maximize the 250's advantages vs the 450's.

Put an hourmeter on the 250 and see if you don't get 30%+ more saddletime every ride.

:applause::eek:

It was good talking to you at the Houston SX.

Your making the right choice. I came off of a 2006 YZ250f, then onto a CRF250. (2006)

I purcahsed my Suzuki two months ago, and I have never in my life had so much fun on a bike. The bike is so easy too ride, and does everything perfect for me. Suspension is never harsh, the power is spot on, and it is the most predictable cornering machine I have ever ridden.

Mine is still bone stock, but Im planning on sending it out too RG3, and getting an FMF 4.1 w/ megabomb.

I was hoping that it will add a little on top, do you think for the money you spent the FMF system was worth it?

I would do it for sure. Im riding an 06 CRF450 myself. I love it but its just too much for me. As soon as Im able to Im buying an RMZ250. Have to get a few things takin care of first though :applause: or I would have already.

My friend has one, as well as an RMZ450, and when hes not riding his 250f, I usualy hop on it and go for a quick ride. I love the handling of them. And they dont tire me out after 1 lap.

I've been through the whole gambit of springs and valving with mine and finally settled on a revalve with a 5.6 in the rear and stock springs in the front. When I ran 45's and 46's in front I couldn't get the front end to settle into corners very well. The rake on this bike is already 1 degree more than the RMZ450 and it doesn't take much to detract from the great feel of the front end...