Sign in to follow this  

06 DR650SE used or new?

Hey guys,

A little advice would be appreciated. There is a 06 DR650SE with 4000 miles on it for $4140.00 OTD with a factory 2 year extended warrenty in excellent condition.

OR A new one at Bert's in Covina for 5050.00 OTD.

What I am getting at, is 4000 miles alot for the price??? Its a $1000.00 difference, roughly.

Thanks for the advice,

Espi,

Sherman Oaks, CA.:applause:

The question is... what kind of miles are they?

If they are from putt - putt-ing around town, no worries.

If they are hard off-road miles, or drag-racing miles, you have worries.

Either way, if the bike is clean and runs like new, as it should,

I would make an offer about $500 below the asking price,

and then go from there...

You can do a search as well to find the things to look for when buying

a used bike. Chain and sprocket wear, oil, tires, etc...

Well, the OTD price is OK- not sure if you can do better in that area. I just got $4725 OTD (no tax) for an '06.

4000 miles- depending on the type (as previously mentioned)- is a fair amount of miles; I usually see these used with 500-1000 miles.

What's the value of the extended warranty, and does the clock start ticking when YOU buy it- any mileage limitations?

I would pay 3500 for a one year old dr with 4000 road miles.Any more and I would probobally want a new one.Any mods would help like a skid plate, hand guards etc.

To give you an idea of deals you might catch:

I bought my 05 DR650 for $3200 with:

New kenda 270 50/50 tires, new tubes, new tusk T-7 aluminum handlebars, new tusk handguards, renthal diamond grips, dual star grip heaters, uni air filter, utah cycle sports skid plate. Plus the previous owner changed the oil in front forks.

It had about 3300 miles on it.

IMO you should look around.

Always pays to shop around. I got an 07 for what another dealer wanted to sell me an 06 demo bike for.

Well, the OTD price is OK- not sure if you can do better in that area. I just got $4725 OTD (no tax) for an '06.

which is actually more than he would be paying before tax, since in california the tax is paid before you go out the door.

i would only consider the used one if it's super clean, and maybe already has heavier springs, skidplate, or some other stuff you might want.

as elevatorjunkie says, $3500 is more reasonable for a bike with 4000 miles.

but then i like new bikes, and i treat them carefully and they last a long time. there's a measure of confidence that comes from knowing that only i have wrenched on my bike.

Read the OTD price thread and I think you will be conviced to buy used. There's a wealth of knowledge concerning what you should be on the lookout for as far as potential problems are concerned. The bike is unchanged except for bodywork color from 1996 to present. I bought my 2000' for $2500 with just over 2100 miles on it. Also it had a skidplate and aftermarket barkbusters. Consider that after you buy new, you will be buying aftermarket parts for the bike. These add little to resale value. Let someone else spend the money. I'm glad these guys are all buying these brand new, blacl 2007's. most of them won't put a lot of miles on them and in a few years I'll be able to buy a fully depreciated, like new bike (thanks guys). Furthermore, I'll be able to sell mine for almost what I paid for it.

Read the OTD price thread and I think you will be conviced to buy used.

IF he can find a deal like yours, then buying used is a better idea. i was looking at a similar choice to the original posters, and i got tired of waiting around and looking for used bikes.

You're right there. I got really lucky. Even so, $3000 does not seem unreasonable or uncommon. Especially if one is willing to travel a little to find it.

Just yesterday I bought an 06 with 180 miles for $3500. I'm pretty happy to say the least. Now I need to figure out how to make it kick arse. What's the deal with the 17" wheel. I have lots of used 18" used dirt tires to put on it, but no. I'm anxious to get it jetted and breathing. Looking to TT for the first time in this forum.

You're right there. I got really lucky. Even so, $3000 does not seem unreasonable or uncommon. Especially if one is willing to travel a little to find it.

To be fair, the cost of travelling and the cost of time to pick up a used bike should be added to the price you pay to come up with a realistic and honest total price. If you have to drive a day one way, pick up the bike, spend the night somewhere and drive home the next day, or fly somewhere and ride it home, that adds real cost to the price of a used bike.