Carrying extra/spare gas....

Picked up a new 85SX for my son...he *really* needed a bike like this for the suspension performance alone. However, the mileage we get out of the 1.3 gallon tank in pretty weak. There are no after-market tanks that I can find so I need to find another solution.

When my wife is with us on her quad, it's an easy fix...strap on a 1 or 2 gallon tank to her cooler rack. However, when it's just us on the bikes in the desert or in the mountains, I need another solution.

What do you guys/gals do? Do you have some container that it's safe to hold gas (pre-mix) in while you ride? My friend said he used to do that on Baja trips. The only other option I can think of is to carry a water bottle to syphon gas into from a bigger bike and then add pre-mix to it...that would be a major hassle though.

Thanks for your input and ideas....:applause:

Yea Acerbis makes a # plate tank, it can be bought in the TT store.

Another option is little containors for gas that I've seen that are like water bottles, but then you might as well just use old water bottles. (then put it in a backpack)

I like the water bottle idea!

But the number plate may be easier.

When I had a 2T I used to carry one or two 33 oz. MSR (Mountain Safety Research, not Malcom Smith Racing) aluminum fuel bottles and separate small bottles of premix oil, pre-measured to make the proper ratio with 33 oz. of gas. This way whether someone needs premix or straight gas you're good to go.

Awesome ideas...thanks!!! I did a lil' research and those 33 oz MSR tanks are only $15 and only 7 oz empty. The Acerbis auxillary tank that goes on the # plate is $64 and almost 4" thick to boot. I don't know how well it would fit on a smaller bike anyway. My son nevers uses his Camelback for water so it just got a new usage!!

When I had a 2T I used to carry one or two 33 oz. MSR (Mountain Safety Research, not Malcom Smith Racing) aluminum fuel bottles and separate small bottles of premix oil, pre-measured to make the proper ratio with 33 oz. of gas. This way whether someone needs premix or straight gas you're good to go.

The MSR bottles are the answer. They are great, don't leak and were designed to be carried in a camel back or backpack for backpacking/camping fuel without getting it all over you or loosing thier seal.

The MSR bottles are the answer. They are great, don't leak and were designed to be carried in a camel back or backpack for backpacking/camping fuel without getting it all over you or loosing thier seal.

Agree!!! MSRs are great. Been using them for years on longer rides and have never had a leak or a problem... and they are very lightweight (for backpacking).:applause: