Sign in to follow this  

'93 XR 250 Transmission Oil Seal

Just got done tearing the engine down, spitting the case and replacing the broken gear shift drum. The only issue I have now is the oil seal around the main drive gear (counter shaft?) is leaking. It was a pain to pull it out, and is even more of a pain to reinstall. I read about the seran wrapping the shaft to prevent damage to new seal, but I'm having issues installing the new one. I destroyed it. I ordered two more just incase.

I am trying to install it with the engine assembled. I really don't want to tear it down again.

The problem is the "lip" on the seal that needs to go in first is not very flexible. It starts tearing before the main body of the seal is actually in the case. VERY FRUSTRATING.

Does anyone have any old tricks to share? Thanks in advance!

I hope you got it figured out. I just replaced the seal yesterday on my 96 XR250. I cleaned the area well, then removed the metal retainer clip and old seal. I cleaned the area some more with WD40 and compressed air.

I covered the countershaft splines with saran wrap, and oiled the inside/outside of the seal. I worked it gently over the c-shaft, and it went in fairly easily. I then put in a new retainer clip.

I'm assuming the seal on a 93 is the same as the 96, but maybe not? Make sure the seal isn't cold, which will make it less flexible.