Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

05 CRF250 Exhaust??

Recommended Posts

When I was riding yesterday, the end cap (pro moto billet) ripped out of the can. It was riveted tight and I didn't crash or dump the bike. It just got loud all of a sudden and I noticed that only 2 of the six holes in the can were in tact and the most of the packing was hanging out. It is like the whole end cap got blown off. What could cause this?

Another question I have is that if I cut off the old holes, make new ones, and re-install the end cap, will I lose any performance. This is the stock exhaust and I would probably cut about 1/2 to maybe 1 inch of total length of the pipe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is you never removed the screen to clean the packing off it. It will build up if you don't remove it and clean it every 4-5 hours.

If you cut the can off 1/2-1" you shouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

Are you using the quiet insert too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was a large backfire. My 05 CRF250R had violent backfires when the valves became cupped. 49 hours on bike. 10" flames out the muffler with loud explosions. Yours could be a similiar problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My guess is you never removed the screen to clean the packing off it. It will build up if you don't remove it and clean it every 4-5 hours.

If you cut the can off 1/2-1" you shouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

Are you using the quiet insert too?

Thanks TJ i never thought about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same thing happened to mine, Same year bike.

You probably did not use enough silicone, then the exhaust most likely started to leak out around the edges and eventually blew all the silicone out. Then it was just a matter of vibration to where the billet sparky wiggles loose and it stretched out the holes where the rivets were.

Drill out all the rivets, hammer the stock can back to flush (it's probably pretty warped from the billet stretching and ripping out). If you can re-use the exhisting rivet holes then sweet, if not drill new holes in between those ones. Use A LOT of silicone (be sure it's the black high temp. RTV stuff-excess can be wipped off). Once you have re-riveted it back, get a hose clamp big enough to fit around the can & Rivets. Tighten that bad bo down and you should never have the problem again.

Not using enough silicone WILL cause this problem. That stock can material is not that strong and will stretch with the excessive vibration. The Hose clamp will help stop the rivets from moving and it doesn't look that bad.

Hope this helps, it did for me when the same thing happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. I think it was said before, clean the screen. It had some packing on it which made the outlet of the pipe much smaller. Unfortunately I can't use the same holes as 4 of the 6 are tore out. The end cap is also shaped to where I can't make new hole in between the existing holes. I'm going to cut 1/2 inch off the end and remount the end cap with good silicon.

Hopefully it won't make much difference.

Thanks again, jd250.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're going to have to cut the core shorter also.

I don't use rivets on mine. I used 10-24 thread screws, buttonhead stainless screws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×