Sign in to follow this  

fork seal

One of the seals is leaking on my fork very bad, ive heard of blowing a seal could it be this or is ther just usually something like a rock up in there. Is this an easy fix

most of the time its prob just dirt or something stuck in there.... Take a film negative and slide it up there and see if u can clean it out and it might stop leaking... if the seal is bad then u will need to replace it... in that case, dont just do the 1 bad seal, do them in pairs...

here is the link to the sticky on changin fork seals...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373271

if u dont want to try it, then i guess u can pay the 200 or so that the stealeer is going to charge you..

IRC, I just did mine this weekend. I must say it wasn't too bad. I did the inner chamber as well. I pm'd you a link to a site that has step by step with photos on our Showas. It made the job much easier.

And if you're going to do it yourself, bite the bullet and get the right tools :applause: ...like a fork seal driver.

I did my seals a couple weeks ago, and damn it, if one of them weren't leaking yesterday:foul:....I either damaged it sliding it over the greased baggie, or seating the seal with my make-shift-pvc seal driver...what a p.i.t.a.

So....I'll be ordering two new seals, a fork seal driver and a fork seal bullet. I guess practice makes perfect.:lol:

And if you're going to do it yourself, bite the bullet and get the right tools :lol: ...like a fork seal driver.

I did my seals a couple weeks ago, and damn it, if one of them weren't leaking yesterday:foul:....I either damaged it sliding it over the greased baggie, or seating the seal with my make-shift-pvc seal driver...what a p.i.t.a.

So....I'll be ordering two new seals, a fork seal driver and a fork seal bullet. I guess practice makes perfect.:lol:

you probably did but if not make sure you dont have any nicks in your fork tubes :applause: