Sign in to follow this  

Cold Air Intake/Flowmaster on a Tundra

Anybody have one? Did it help?

I can get a deal on a new MAC Cold Air Intake thats said to give my Tundra 12 extra horse and give it a deeper exhaust note.

Also, has anybody put a Flowmaster and duals on a 4.7L? I was thinking about the SUV series Flowmaster. I read that the SUV muffler is supposed to keep the interior sounds quiet and still have a good tone outside.

It looks to me as if the Box is jsut a filter with a heat shield. In essense, it's a hot air intake. Problems with these heat shields is that they don't fit well, and thhe tube also rubs on the heat shield. You get what you pay for.

Why not a true CAI box like a Volant, Outlaw X, or AFE? These boxes are proven to have Cold air intake temps. For the 05-07 Tacomas, one member on my ttora forum reported IA temps of only 1 or 2 degrees higher!

You can get even more gains by tuning the MAF for the new values of the MAF. You are reposistioning the MAF. To get the full claims that they are stating, you should recalibrate it. A long shot if you do not have a dyno though. It wouldn't hurt to call URD though!

depends what year. On the 00-04's you may get 10hp with exhaust and intake, maybe... from what ive read tundras dont really benefit from exhaust and intake mods. If you want some power, then get a set of JBA headers. Do some searching at tundrasolutions.com

I think Tundrasolutions got shut down (something to do with copyrights with the "Tundra" name), but I dont go on there so I could be wrong.

You will gain some power with a CAI and exhaust, but I think expected a 12 hp gain is pretty optimistic.

What you will gain though is a throaty intake sound and a deep, rumbly exhaust.

Me personally, Id go with a Magnaflow over a Flowmaster. Ive got a Flowmaster on my F-150 and it sounds nice, but Im on my 2nd stainless Flowmaster in 5 years, so Im not convinced about the durability of Flowmaster mufflers.

You are right about the SUV muffler, you have all the sound at the tailpipe but you dont really hear it inside the vehicle.

Ive got a Flowmaster 50 Series on my truck and it is nice and loud when you stand behind the truck, but when you are driving the truck you really only hear the exhaust when you are accelerating. When cruising at steady throttle the exhaust has a nice, mellow tone to it and you can just barely hear it.

Note to self ....don't listen to advise given by a "Ford guy" about a Toyota.:lol:

www.tundrasolutions.com site is not closed down and is probably the BEST place on the Net to get info. on Toyota's. There's more info. than, you would probably ever want to know. There are a lot of Toyota finatics (sp?)on this site. :applause:

go with a flowtech terminator muffler and a highflow cat if you want good sound... sounds better then the flowmasters IMO.. save the money from the intake and get something like headers or just save for a supercharger lol