Sign in to follow this  

cant get my kick starter off the shaft! 99 yz125

i took off the bolt, and cant get the kick starter assembly off the shaft.

ive used heat,rust penetrators,hit it with a hammer in every direction, pry it to the point where i close to cracking the case using it as leverage.

HELP me:crazy:

Not sure what else you can do to get the kick starter off. Just curious as to why you need to get the damn thing off anyway?

Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some useful info..

This sounds nuts, but usually works.

The easy way is to put the bolt back in. Open the kick starter and remove the bolt. Usually the edge of the bolt catches the lever and acts like a puller. It will then come right off.

If this fails, get a decent 2 jaw battery terminal pullet from autozone or some auto store. It fits the kick starters perfectly.

The easy way is to put the bolt back in. Open the kick starter and remove the bolt. Usually the edge of the bolt catches the lever and acts like a puller. It will then come right off.

If this fails, get a decent 2 jaw battery terminal pullet from autozone or some auto store. It fits the kick starters perfectly.

I'll have to remember this one:thumbsup:

Not sure what else you can do to get the kick starter off. Just curious as to why you need to get the damn thing off anyway?

Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some useful info..

cause it doesnt come back and lock into place and its flopping out and getting in my way.

EXCELLENT , thank you!!!

Eeeeggggggg-zactly!

Yup. This works perfectly. :applause:

The shaft corrodes like crazy from washing the bike. Its a good idea to remove it yearly to get some assembly lube on there.

I would go for the battery terminal puller. They are well under 10 bucks. Its a great tool to have around.

nope that didnt work on mine.

Are you sure?

You opened it, and then tried unscrewing it?

Wow.

How long has it been since it's been off?

Are you sure?

You opened it, and then tried unscrewing it?

Wow.

How long has it been since it's been off?

as i back the bolt with the small washer, and the arm is open not even the washer touchs the lower lip of the arm.

i just got this bike used a few months back.

this is the last thing to fix.

the kick starter to return and stay in.

it keeps flopping out cause the spring must be missing in there.

the guy that owned this bike before me wasnt much for doing a proper repair jobs.