Sign in to follow this  

Kickstarter Injuries Anyone?

How many of you guys have been taken out by your kickstart? I took a nasty one yesterday trying to fire up my YZ450. It was sitting all winter, and with the nice warm weather that came on the weekend I decided to fire it up. Well wearing my mx boot would have been a good idea :lol: She back kicked so hard it split my shoe in half and ruined my foot :applause: Not only did it bruise the bottom of my foot, it split the skin real bad. Oh well, I knew better in the first place. So who else has made the same mistake?

Ive had it kick up and slam my knee into the handle bar. Split the skin pretty good and a nice bruise

One of my freinds tried starting his 450 with sandles on...I dont think i have laughed harder in my life when the kick start went right threw and into his foot. :applause::lol:

20 stitches on the right shin

of all bikes it was a clapped out rm 125...

showed up at the gravel pit on my street bike.. wasnt wearing boots and split my shin open

the kicker slipped from under my foot while i was still kicking down, that plus the return spring was enough to fillet me open

now i wear boots to fire the bike up if only to warm it up after a wash or oil change

I've had two that I can remember pretty nasty bruises on my lower leg. I do generally wait until I have my boots on to start my bike. Once last year I just payed my fee to get into the ride park and walked across wet grass with my shoes on. Jumped on the kickstarter, my shoe slipped off and the kickstarter hurt my calf pretty bad. Another time I was in my garage and I had a 125 which would not start. Again no boots, shoe slipped off and ended up with a pretty nasty bruise on the inside of my calf. If you can wait to put your boots on DO IT!

i have split a few pairs of shoes.......thats it....and bashed my shin/knee once, maybe twice i dont remember thats it for now...

Well its relieving to hear I'm not the only one then LoL. This is not the way I wanted to start the season out.... didn't even get the bike into 1st gear and hurt already! Hopefully this is not going to be the trend for the season. Knock on wood.

my uncle's crf450 went right through his riding boots and cut the side of his leg... i have not had a problem w/ or w/o boots. guess im lucky.

I start my 450 with flip flops usually. Only once did I break my toe(again)other than that I have bin good, no more problems

i used to start my 250f with sandals on. never had problem i thought it was fun. i could start my 125 barefoot or with my hand that was pretty cool. i dont think i could start my 250 2t with sandals on but idk i used to have some pretty tuff dvs sandals but my ex-gf stole them.

Well i think alot of the older guys can remeber the MAICO 490 2strokes alot of people have broke there legs trying to start them. crazy

• Like 1

ive got bruises on the bottom of my feet and my shoes have gotten big holes and dents in them on the bottom

Am i the only one that has never had this problem? lol Im riding a smaller bore, but still, i dont see how it could break your shoe. Any hoo, im happy it hasnt happened yet. :applause:

Just took my old KLR250 out of storage, went to kick it, foot slipped off the kickstarter and I nailed my shin on my footpeg. NICE bruise from that one.

I've done it a few other times but never quite that bad.

Well its relieving to hear I'm not the only one then LoL. This is not the way I wanted to start the season out.... didn't even get the bike into 1st gear and hurt already! Hopefully this is not going to be the trend for the season. Knock on wood.

I layed my bike down on Sunday (riding over some sawdust at my dad's sawmill, wasn't thinking, it turned out to be ice with 1/2" of sawdust on top of it), my first ride since late September. Excellent way to start the season.

Bike kept running though, so I guess that was good :applause:

I have always started my bike with shoes or sandles on to test it out when done working on it (always start it with boots on at the track) and never though about it ripping my foot open. But after hearing all the sh*t that has happened to you guys I think I will slip my boot on the start it.

Huh, my Dad has permanent knee injuries from starting the '70's bikes. Glad I wasn't around then.

Although it might not have been that bad for most, my Dad's '95 KTM 250SX was a kicker. I was only 10-15 y.o. while he had it, but since he couldn't start it at the time due to his knees I'd have to. I'm a widdle guy, and that thing 'bout killed me several times. Remember this was before KTM was really mainstream and their engines were quirky at best. Never got me in the shin though.

Worst bike I ever had was a '96 KTM 50 SXR. Kickstart flipped forward and since the 50 wars were heating up they had a huge expansion chamber on it looking for power. It was impossible to kick it without hitting the exhaust pipe, maybe a 1/2" of clearance. Even then with my little boot I'd get one good kick without slipping every 5 or 6 tries! :applause:

I have a friend that broke his leg kicking over a CR 500. Foot slipped and it kicked back, nailed him right in his leg. Hes never been the same.