Sign in to follow this  

which bike

I made a commitement to buy a MX bike but there are so many to choose from , here is my background: 5"11 200pounds, almost no experience off road,40 years old but great shape, will take riding classe MX but will not jump like a creasy kid.I interested in a 4 stroke with low maintenance ( I don't like to spend hours doing the mecanic)and low modif to do to my weight ... any brand is good for me ,250 or 450, my budget is up to $5000 for a used one.

any model Honda,suzuki,kawasaki,KTM,Yamaha..

Thanks

Hendi:thumbsup:

yamaha is bulletproof ...research the problems with honda before you commit to one.

ride both sizes im 6' 170 on a 250f...you might want the 450 but check them out

yea try em all out man...im 5' 7" 150m ride a 250f and have ridden a 250's depends on what ya want what ya liek....my brand recomendation is yamaha all da way

yamaha is bulletproof ...research the problems with honda before you commit to one.

ride both sizes im 6' 170 on a 250f...you might want the 450 but check them out

Watch out for silly statements like the one above from brand loyalists. No mater what brand you go with you will find each model will have its own quirks and maintenance needs. Riding several bikes the same day is a good way to compare.

If you plan on buying a new bike, checking out shootouts from at least 2 different mags will give you a general idea about each brands strengths and weakness's as it pertains to specific models. These shootouts (depending on which magazine hopefully have input and perspective from novice and armature riders as well as pro's to give a better overall opinion of the different bikes.

While there is no substitute for riding the bikes to compare, most mag shootouts have better resources than you or I.

I would also strongly recommend reading this article before you buy a used bike.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tech/141_0504_10_things_when_buying_a_used_dirtbike/

Honda,The newer ones dont have all the problems like everyone says. The 450 is the best 450 in the class (according to the mags)

personally if you want low maintenance, get a 250 2 stroke. a 450 needs oil changed pretty much every ride or 2, whereas a 250 2 stroke needs it every 4 or 5 rides, plus you dont have to worry about oil filters. if youre not racing 250 pro the 4 stroke wont be any real advantage. plus you can pick up 250t's dirt cheap.

Thanks guys , I appreciate your help and the link was really helpfull to make a choice between new or used and what to check if I buy a used one.

Hendi