Sign in to follow this  

Timing Issue - won't start.

04 CRF250 - new top end, valve job, compression 57psi, timing mark on right side is lined up, marks on cams are lined up, lobes pointing towards back. Left side flywheel marks are not lined up.....could this be the problem....possible sheared woodruff key? Or something else?

Any suggestions?

Also,

Has spark, replaced kill switch, and it is getting gas.

Did you release the tension on the cam chain tensioner after you installed it? If you didn`t it will not start, don`t ask me how i know.

Take the middle bolt out, then take a small screwdriver and insert in the hole. Turn clockwise to release the tension, then let the screwdriver turn back.

When you remove the tensioner it will fully extend, just putting it back in will place to much tension on the chain.

if it has proper compression, the timing should be ok, but make sure the mark on the right side of the engine, (cap under waterpump area) the line on the gear should be lined up w/ the mark on the case, when you look in. And then the cam should be lined up properly at the top. Also make sure that you are at Top dead center, you can find that by moving the kickstart lever, and when you hear the click of the autodecompressor cam you will know you are at TCD, then you just line up the lines on the cam and on the gear on the right side of the engine... B/c you could have been 180 out.

And for the cam chain tensioner, you would have had to remove it or release the tension to get the cam out, so the question is, did you wind in the tensioner when you put it in, b/c if you didn't release the tension, I don't see how you could get it in w/out A LOT of force, but if you did manage you would have an overly tight cam chain, and that would cause the engine to not turn over properly and rune the cam gears, crank gears cam bearings etc.