Sign in to follow this  

Riding near I40

We will be driving through AZ and NM on I40 in late May, early June and would like to stop and ride along the way. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Info on good places to stay the night near where we would be riding would also be great. Also, what are the registration requirements in AZ and NM? Our bikes are registered (not plated) in CA, what would we need to do, if anything, since we are just visiting and not moving there?

Thanks for your help.--Theresa

Great places in Albuquerque. No registration required really.

Great places in Albuquerque. No registration required really.

I 2nd that... I was driving your same way kinda, but I came from up north... when I got to AlbQ I went to Rio Racho, and then to some place called "southern" or something,,, man, that was the best riding i have done... Maybe the NM ALbQ guys can give u directions.. all I know that is was at the end of Souther Ave.. or something like that... Great time!!!!!!!!!

there is another place in AZ off of the 40, called "Franconia Road" its a exit about 2 miles east of Exit 9. u can stage and camp there and ride around... some fun trails..

Thanks for the info., we will be staying in hotels mostly but camping isn't out of the question. We don't have gps so an established area would probably be better. Thanks.

How long will you be staying and when are you passing through. There is several groups of riders that are from ABQ I am sure would show you around. My group usuely gets stuck going to montesa. (I hate that place) But If you give us a heads up some one will be there.:applause:

We should arrive in AZ on the night of June second, ride on the third, arrive NM night of the third, ride on the fourth?...we don't have any set plans because we don't know where we will be stopping to ride. We leave on June second and have to be home on June 11. We are going to Bulcher, TX to ride at the site of the Last Man Standing. We will spend a day or two there and then come home. Hopefully stopping to ride on the way home also if time allows. We are pretty flexible at this point. I am asking all of you so we can plan the trip.

Thanks again--Theresa

LOL we are planing a trip out there in April or May. As for riding that would be hard one There is Montesa and Southern. Montesa is closer than Southern but I would go to Southern. I will get with my buddy and see if he rembers the names of the streets to get there. there is some trails out in the mountans on South 14. I will see what I can do for derections to get there also.:applause:

when you get in to texas there is a website for all the trails in texas.

i think it is txtrails.com. I am in Amarillo and there are 2 good riding areas around here. one 30 miles north "canadian river" and one about 60 miles south, "lake mckenzie" Texas has a ohv sticker requirement they are about 7bucks per bike. I have never been stopped to check mine, but we have them. We are planning a trip to bulger also this year. we are where I40 and 287, the road to dallas, connects.

That's not the right web address...

i will find it and post

correct address is www.txtracks.com

jay

Thanks everyone, I haven't been on TT for a while to check for responses. I will let you all know how the trip went and where we stopped when I return. Thanks again.

Just east of Albuquerque on I40 is Tijeras. About 1/2 mile south of Tijeras is a great trail system called Cedro Peak. Map can be had at the ranger station there.

Hey Jay, glad to see another Amarilloan here.

when you get into Albuquerque ask some of us locals. You kinda have to know were to go for some really good riding. Have fun:ride:

East of Albuquerque, right off of I-40, in the Sandia Mt.s is a place called Cedro Peak(see drow)There is a ranger station there and you can get info on what trails to ride.

Your bikes do have to be registered and plated sparkarestors a must. You will be in National forest

There are some good riding spots here in Kingman Az if you like to trail ride throufh the mountains? This is where i live.

Sorry for taking so long on derections. I know how to get there but I have No idea on the street names. :bonk: