Sign in to follow this  

carb question...

I am building a supermoto bike out of a brand spankin CRF450R (07). I am trying to build a dependable race bike so I'd rather not do anything that "might" work. Understanding that there are trade secrets out there, I am just trying to figure out what I can do with the carb on the new 07's that helps in the "make my bike faster" category. In supermoto, it's all about mid and top end.

for example, I know about the AP "safety wire" trick and boyeson quick shot for the bottom end. But there are companies like Tokyo mods that rework the carb. I have heard that ron hamp does some trick stuff as well. I don't know what they do, is it worth it? What do they do?

Anyone...any thoughts?

theap mod is not doable on the 07 iy is already a solid linkage,it is also 1mm larger bore.

How much have you got to spend? Speed costs money.

If I were you, I'd see if you can get someone at the Troy Lee Designs race shot (or maybe Troy himself) to tell you what they do to prep the bikes. Or one of the other top teams running CRFs. They won't tell you all their secrets, but they'll point you in the right direction.

How much have you got to spend? Speed costs money.

If I were you, I'd see if you can get someone at the Troy Lee Designs race shot (or maybe Troy himself) to tell you what they do to prep the bikes. Or one of the other top teams running CRFs. They won't tell you all their secrets, but they'll point you in the right direction.

good thought. I was hoping to get some enlightenment here as well. I figured that a lot of the desert guys are always looking for more speed. Just trying to get as much info so that hopefully I can get it right the first time...

My approach is always to ask around, gather info from multiple sources and evaluate it and decide whose advice works best for my situation (time, funds, likelihood of getting divorced if I spend any more money on it, etc.).

Most of the race teams are very open about helping out people who are seriously interested. Everybody likes to show off their knowledge and expertise. Human nature.

RHC 187 cam and an MRD dual exhaust

not sure who MRD is, but I would have a concern with the dual exhaust in that I am fitting a dunlop 170 in the rear. As it is currently, you have to space the single exhaust out about an 1 to 1 1/2 inches to clear the tire. I would think that a dual exhaust would have to be specially manufactured for supermoto specifically because of the tires.

No carb advice? just leave it alone?:applause:

not sure who MRD is, but I would have a concern with the dual exhaust in that I am fitting a dunlop 170 in the rear. As it is currently, you have to space the single exhaust out about an 1 to 1 1/2 inches to clear the tire. I would think that a dual exhaust would have to be specially manufactured for supermoto specifically because of the tires.

No carb advice? just leave it alone?:applause:

Theres a picture up in the forum of the MRD dual. The mufflers are fairly small. Smaller than the OEM part. You could just send the carb to RHC and have him rework the velocity stack etc. Pretty good gains are made there. But the cam and the pipe would yield more power than you might think. The MRD dual pipe costs about half of what an Akropovic or something would cost you and makes more power. One of the best pipes around for that type of riding is an CHM SM-1. The MRD made even more than that on a modded motor. MRD is a one man show that does incredible quality, makes each pipe to order and will fit what your looking at fitting usually.

I'll put it to you this way; if you sent the head and carb to RHC, bought the RHC 187, picked up the dual MRD and popped a 13.5:1 piston in there you'd be over 60 hp at the tire on pump gas. Closer to 65 on U4.