06-07 TE owners... Are you happy?

I live in the great (and not so great) state of Ca. and I am in the market for a new street legal off road bike. I am considering the Husky TE510 and the KTM 525 EXC. I have a few questions I'd like to ask the owners of these bikes.

1. Relilability. Good, Bad, better than expected, worse?

2. Useability, Same

3. Service-ability, Good or pain in the arse?

4. Overall built quality. Compaired to Japanese. I'm coming off of a long line of Hondas.

5, Knowing what you know now, would you buy one again?

Imput from current or former owners is best, but I'll listen to everyone.

Thanx in advance.

I live in the great (and not so great) state of Ca. and I am in the market for a new street legal off road bike. I am considering the Husky TE510 and the KTM 525 EXC. I have a few questions I'd like to ask the owners of these bikes.

2. Useability, Same

4. Overall built quality. Compaired to Japanese. I'm coming off of a long line of Hondas.

Thanx in advance.

1.:applause:

2.?

3.?

4.:eek:

5.:naughty:? Maybe

I've owned about every make of bike..Found things I disliked about all of them. the husky has the fewest so far. :worthy:

I don't have many miles on my 07 TE510 but am already tweaking things to make it a better dual sport. I have no doubt it is as competent as my Berg in the woods.....but pavement behavior is definitely lacking. I know you can't have it all, but here are some things I am changing. Its overall gearing is radically low, going to a 14T C/S should help. The seat sucks, so I am having it redone. The 39 plus inch seat height was too much (for me), so I installed lowering links. Going to fill the bars with lead shot in an effort to dampen some of the vibes. Since my usage is about 60/40 (60% dirt), I'm going to try some Continental dual sport tires. Would I buy it again? So far I would......that motor is a blast. Build quality seems higher than the dozens of Japanese dirt bikes I've owned, but it should ....since it cost more.

2. Useability, Same

Thanx in advance.

Do a search and you'll find a lot of threads on the TE vs. EXC comparison. Lots of us here came to Husky after riding EXCs, including myself.

No question I'd buy the TE again. It is the best fit for my riding needs, which only involve street riding to connect trails. The TE is a racier bike than the EXC, due to the short stroke motor and close ratio tranny. The motor is very strong and it is more responsive than the EXC. In fact, the bikes are quite different, so read up before you buy. I'm a lousy mechanic and find basic maintenance easier on the TE. One thing I did like about my EXC (which I still own), is the seat height. It is about an inch shorter than the TE.

Good luck.

R

2. Useability, Same

Thanx in advance.

1. Stone reliable, just like my last Husky

2. Race, track, trail & D/S, so far it's done it all.

3.Easiest bike to work on EVER!

4.Euro build quality, top notch and under-respected....as always

5.Yes & no.....if I could I'd get a TE250 AND a TC450 instead of a TE510 :applause:

Wouldn't change it for the world. It is definately setup for the dirt. The plate is just a bonus, but a street machine it is not. The KTM is setup to be more street friendly. I have two buddies that have the 525 exc and they have both changed their gearing because it was way too high.

The Husky is very dependable and easy to work on. I would buy another in heartbeat.

I came off the 02 CRF450 which I thought was the best bike I've ever owned or ridden, which it WAS. Not anymore! The 07 TE450 fits me like a glove. The only thing I've done is add protection. Gearing is perfect, suspension is perfect, power is massive and manageable, maintenance is a no brainer. Wish I would have looked at Husky sooner.:applause:

1. don't have the bike (TE510) for enough time to be 100% sure but so far , so good...very reliable, as expected by me.

2. More than expected...only needed to change final gearing to 15/48 and bingo...handlebars seem a bit too tall at 1st but i already got used to it and its great for riding downhills and riding out of seat...seat seemed also too tall at 1st ride(s) but surprisingly, even in more technical terrain i got used to it and it no longer seem too tall...guess that the excellent weight distribution has something to do with it.

3. Perfect...best ever.

4. Better than expected...very good.

5. No doubt :applause:

2. Useability, Same

Thanx in advance.

Thank you all for your input!!! I love this forum!

I was leaning more towards the Husky because of its reputation for relilability. My biggest concern was major mechanical durability. I know all bikes have their little problems, I just don't want to be left way out in the desert.

Thanks again to all.

All good,

lots of trail/track and even trials riding,, 1 year of use and no problems of significance. We ride at least 3 times per month, last week end put 50 miles of MX track time on, week before 60 miles of single track trails, and a 200 mile Baja mixed trail ride, Elsinore GP, Tecate Hare Scrambles,, for an example of some of the chores this machine has pulled in the last year. Very pleased with her!! Robertaccio

I was leaning more towards the Husky because of its reputation for relilability. My biggest concern was major mechanical durability. I know all bikes have their little problems, I just don't want to be left way out in the desert.

Thanks again to all.

Any bike can have problems - flat tubes, run out of gas, etc. Always good to have a back up plan when riding. For that matter medical issues on the trail are another category - as in pilot error.

Thanks again to all.

I'll be in Dove Springs this weekend. Come on out, you can ride my 510 (& maybe a TC450, a TE450 and a TE250)