Sign in to follow this  

KTM 300 MXC 1998 suggestions

I am looking to get a MXC 300 1998 does anybody know much about them? Problems? Good points? Bad experience? GOod experience? a buddy is offering me one that is street legal.

they are great bikes, the only long term problem from year to year is some overheat in the tight slow stuff, some dont, and getting it jetted right is a pain.

do they need a new pilot and main or can you just adjust it???? Also do you know anything about the suspension???

usually its the needle opn a KTM. The suspension is fine with good forks and the linkless rear works well to once you get the right spring for your weight. It will not compensate like a linkage rear will, you must have the right spring.

I am looking to get a MXC 300 1998 does anybody know much about them? Problems? Good points? Bad experience? GOod experience? a buddy is offering me one that is street legal.

Good bike - that year has a 130W coil that is great for street legal lights. The XC or EXCs past 2000 are 40 watts, and as a result, a real pain to make street legal. Mike in Fres is pointing out jetting as a possible nuisance, but don't let that deter you, it's adjustable, and its a nuisance to get the jetting puurrfect.

Enclosed are motor specifications and a jetting chart.

http://www.ktminfo.com/partscat/images/Info/1998_250-380_mot1.pdf

FWIW my experience with the KTMTalk jetting section, is it seems like an endless read. You can literally find hundreds of posts, with many having different jetting preferences. I did this, and found it to be a huge waste of time, as one persons preference doesn't necessarily transfer to your bike even if at the same altitude and temp. So go ride the bike, and if it runs to suit you don't even worry about it, if you want to rejet, go to the manufacturers jetting chart first (supplied above).

Have fun,

Ray

Thanks Rayin that info is very helpful.... Funny story too.... he was bringing the bike for me to look at and it fell over on his trailer and broke the throttle tube and handlebar.... So now.... I couldn't ride it. I did kick the tires and shake the wheels.... check the oil and the compression seems good just going by resistance of the kickstart. Actually when I opened the oil fill plug I could see the top of the clutch and it look pristine... like brand new... I was suprised on every other used bike I've have the clutch is usually the one thing thats trashed... especially on two strokes... Anyways he is talking about taking -700 off the price..... 1300 for a street legal 1998 mxc....