Sign in to follow this  

AC output

Does anyone know the output of the AC side of the stator on a 05 TC 450. I ask because I am runnig a H4 60/55 watt light on the bike currently and want to know how hard I can push things before they push back. George said (I have seen it as well) that he has run a 160/100 watt H4 bulb on a 04 tc450with no probems. I have many choices of bulbs, some up to 180/100 watt but want to get some idea of the limits of the stock winding before I experiment and start hurting parts...

Thanks

CK

You can't hurt anything by pulling too much power, its just whatever you consider to be an acceptable dimming at idle. I believe the TE stator is the same as the 4-stroke KTMs which is easier to find info on, I don't know what the TC has, but I'd guess its the same.

On a TE I don't think you can run more than about 60w or so without major dimming. I tried a 100w halogen on my 05 TE510 and it couldn't handle it even when revved and was much brighter with a 50w than the 100w. Trailtech says 55w-AC and 26w-DC for the KTMs which seems about right from my limited testing on the TE. I'm pretty sure (was a while back) the 50w dimmed a little at idle which meant I was close to the limit, I just got a HID helmetlight and didn't worry about the headlight, but I don't know what your trying to do with it.

Joel

Thanks for the info. As for application, I'm just using it for those long days that turn into evenings out on the trail. I think I will try different bulbs and note the differences between each one. I will post the results after I have tested out a few different bulbs in case anybody else is interested or has the same questions in the future.

Thanks much,

CK