Sign in to follow this  

2 valve questions...

this is the first time ive worked on this bike since i just got it. i did the ap mod today and i am really pleased with the results. while i was at it, i checked the valves and i couldnt even get the smallest feeler under the cam on the left intake valve. the right intake is perfect, and both the exhaust are at .008mm. I was disappointed because i just bought the bike(04 crf250r) for $4000 CAN. and the guy said there are new valves and springs and the seats were cut and he only raced it 3 times on the new stuff. after that he hyperextended his leg and had to sell it to me.ouch. my first question is how are they that bad when the bike starts up first to second kick when its winter out, dosent misfire on decel of rpms, idles perfect and runs perfect, and dosent bog. My other question is, if i re-shim, do you think they are going to keep moving, because they shouldnt if they are like new right? :lol::applause:

As everything settles at break in they could tighten up.Normaly it's the right that goes bad anyway.Maybe thats the way the guy set it too.Reshim it and see what happens.Also I've read that if you put the feeler in at the wrong angle you can get a tight reading,but I don't see how this is possible.

thank you for the info. i figuered they might just be settling a bit. or i thought it may have been the bitterly cold weather that made them move some too. i am no mechanic so i maybe thats a dumb question. thanks for the info. i tried putting the feeler in at multiple angles and still no luck. i'll try to get some shims soon. hopefully i'll still have a lot more hours on them. after a re-shim. thanks. :applause: