Sign in to follow this  

Banging out wheel bearings, or the puller

Ive got an 06 YZ250F, and I would put this is in the YZ250F forum.

Can I hammer out the front wheel bearings on my bike, or do I have to use a bearing puller? Thanks

You can try heating them up and then banging them out with a rubber mallet, but it's safest and most effective with a bearing puller.

I wouldn't risk distorting the hub with a hammer. I know if I had to do my own wheel bearings, I'd first try pressing them out with the hydraulic press I've got. If that wasn't working, I'd take it to a shop and have them pull them out.

As long as you can get a good bite on the bearing from the other side then banging them out is not an issue (in my experience). I had one wheel where I couldn't get a good enough bite. The damn center spacer just wouldn't move over enough. I bought a blind bearing puller from Harbor Freight. It's a junky tool but it worked, it was easy to get, and it was cheap.

I just replaced mine on my 06 250f by tapping them out from the other side with a punch. Just make sure your tapping on the bearing and not on the flange that holds it in. Move around in a circle, the more even you tap on it, the easier it will come out.

I use a socket the size of the metal outer case, and bang on it with a hammer, sends an even amount of stress on the bearings causing it to come out more even.