Quick Question about Grade of Oil

I know. I know. Oil preference is personal.

But that's not what this thread is about.

The 2007 WR450 manual states 10W-30.

I have always used 10W-40.

Why does Yamaha recommend 10W-30 on this bike?

Is is strictly an emissions thing,

Or will the engine suffer at all running on 10W-40?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jim

There's not that much difference between the two just the temp range they work best at.I think the 40 gives better high temp(atmospheric) protection.I only wonder if it has something to do with the clutch liking thinner oil.

I know. I know. Oil preference is personal.

But that's not what this thread is about.

The 2007 WR450 manual states 10W-30.

I have always used 10W-40.

Why does Yamaha recommend 10W-30 on this bike?

Is is strictly an emissions thing,

Or will the engine suffer at all running on 10W-40?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jim

I just changed my oil and I used the Yamalube semi-synthetic 10w-50 4-R

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
I just changed my WR450 oil and filter for the first time and it was a nightmare. What is with that little plug behind the shift lever? 8mm and behind the frame bar?

It's a piece of cake.

To drain the oil tank, just undo the one 8mm bolt that holds the oil feed tube to the motor.

Use an 8mm ringy to undo the little one behind the gearlever.

When you next need to clean the gauze frame filter, just undo the hose clamp and leave the hose on it while you undo it.

Granted, it's not like a car with one drain bolt.

Okay I give up. What the heck is an "8mm ringy". I had trouble getting to that bolt also. I know just what the guy meant.

Sorry. It is an 8mm ring spanner. It really is dead easy to get to. Takes a little dexterity to get it started back on but it is an important part of the oil drain procedure. You'll be surprised how much more oil comes out of there when you stand the bike up and put it back on it's side stand.

Sorry. It is an 8mm ring spanner. It really is dead easy to get to. Takes a little dexterity to get it started back on but it is an important part of the oil drain procedure. You'll be surprised how much more oil comes out of there when you stand the bike up and put it back on it's side stand.
:worthy: I'm not sure a "spanner" is much more descriptive to a yank than a "ringy".

We call it a box wrench.?