fuel valve with reserve?

I have a 05 525 SM and it does not have reserve on the fuel valve I just bought it to ride on the street and its a bit scary thinking that when its empty, ITS EMPTY!!! Is their anything I can do. Also does anyone know what kind of gas mileage they get? MY DRZ 400 SM gets 57 miles a gallon and hope this gets close to the same with the extra gear it has over my 5 speed DRZ.

I doubt you'll get anything close to your DRZ mileage. It all depends on how you ride. I get about 24mpg in WFO race mode and about 35 when trail riding. My mileage is on the dirt but I don't think you will get over 35-40 on the street.

The part number DJH is talking about is KTM # 58307105200 and it will bolt right on to your tank.

I doubt you'll get anything close to your DRZ mileage. It all depends on how you ride. I get about 24mpg in WFO race mode and about 35 when trail riding. My mileage is on the dirt but I don't think you will get over 35-40 on the street.

The part number DJH is talking about is KTM # 58307105200 and it will bolt right on to your tank.

cool. That is what I needed to find out. I am going to order one asap. Thanks for the help.

On any of these bikes that don't have a crossover petcock, when you run out of gas there is always more trapped in the right side of the tank. How much depends on the particular tank and on how you are riding.

The stock tank on my '05 525 EXC will trap almost 0.5 US gallons if you are droning straight and level on pavement. If you are riding woods and elevating the front wheel a lot, it traps very little - inertial forces throw the fuel over the top of the frame hump.

A stock EXC petcock plus some creative "laying the bike on its side" will allow you to ride on fumes. It's always smart to throw a 32 ounce MSR fuel bottle into your day pack, for that one ride where that doesn't work out too well.

John Davies

Spokane WA