Sign in to follow this  

2007 TE450 Gearing Again?????

Well I started commuting to work today since the weather has warmed up. Going to re-gear the bike for the short six-mile round trip. I plan on a front and rear change maybe including the chain. Looking for a suggestion for the street, don’t mind wrenching on the bike to return the gearing to dirt. Right now my thoughts are 14/48 using the stock chain, or 15/50 with a new chain. I’ve searched the threads and know this is not a street bike, just curious if anyone has a thought a combination. Thanks:confused:

Domenic

FWIW, I'm using 15/48 with stock chain length (it's not the stock chain but a RK XW-ring fluo red)...notice that i'm using my TE510 only for off-road.

Pmaust, Mikekay and other SoCal guys on the TE510 were up sizing the CS by two teeth. I dropped my rear by two teeth to up gear it teh least amount and the bike was better on road not great, excellent in the desert (since I have no need to go faster then 45mph/ 4/5 gears in the desert anyways) and still spot on great for trails.

Small but related hijack / question...

Adding a tooth to the CS will move the rear axle forward 1/2 link or about 5/16" - true?

Does adding a tooth to the rear sprocket move the rear axle about 5/16" forward? Think it does but not 100% sure...

Here's a link to a spreadsheet that I did that will give you an idea of the RPMs you're going to see.

http://www.dhunter-engineering.com/Husky%20TE-450%20Gearing.xls

I still haven't updated the tire circumference with a measured value, even though one of the guys was kind enough to send it to me.

But none the less, it gives you a feel for the relative change you'll see by swapping out the front or rear, or both.

Because I rarely ride the bike on the street and seek out slower more technical dirt riding, I dropped my TE-510 gearing down to the stock 450 gearing. It makes highway riding less enjoyable for sure - thank goodness that doesn't happen much :-)

Regards,

Daryl

Here's a link to a spreadsheet that I did that will give you an idea of the RPMs you're going to see.

http://www.dhunter-engineering.com/Husky%20TE-450%20Gearing.xls

I still haven't updated the tire circumference with a measured value, even though one of the guys was kind enough to send it to me.

But none the less, it gives you a feel for the relative change you'll see by swapping out the front or rear, or both.

Because I rarely ride the bike on the street and seek out slower more technical dirt riding, I dropped my TE-510 gearing down to the stock 450 gearing. It makes highway riding less enjoyable for sure - thank goodness that doesn't happen much :-)

Regards,

Daryl

Daryl, long time no ride with...I've been running 14/50 and it's nice on the roads we ride to connect trails, but can sometimes be a bit tall in the tougher stuff if I'm not feeling 'on' but most of the time it helps me flow more. I've got about 2800 miles on the drivetrain and am thinking I'll go to 14/51 or 13/47 once it all needs to be replaced. Your spreadsheet has helped me decide, thanks.

I tried 15/50, too tall for my skills and terrain...I'm running 116 links with all these combos.

Good luck on the clutch replacement...let us know how it goes.

I was out there at the North County spot Saturday for a couple of hours putting around.

Sadly, my shoulder is just not holding up and I'm going to have to have it looked at. If it's going to require surgery that most likely means I'm out of the Big Bear ride this year :-(