Sign in to follow this  

04 hard to start after race

I rode a hare scramble yesterday, the bike did great (me not so well, but that's beside the point). After loading up and coming home, I washed the bike really well and had a very hard time starting after washing (yes I had a plug in the exhaust when I washed it, and yes I removed it before starting it. I finally started it and just rode it up and down my street a few times to dry everything and put it up for the night. Today, I can't start it at all unless I pull the hotstart, even then it takes 4-7 good kicks. I have never had a problem like this before. Won't start with the choke on or off. From doing searches and reading other posts I have checked the obvious things like making sure the hotstart is not stuck open and making sure the fuel screw is still there. I even checked the valves and they are still perfect.

I am not sure what else to check. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

:applause:

I rode a hare scramble yesterday, the bike did great (me not so well, but that's beside the point). After loading up and coming home, I washed the bike really well and had a very hard time starting after washing (yes I had a plug in the exhaust when I washed it, and yes I removed it before starting it. I finally started it and just rode it up and down my street a few times to dry everything and put it up for the night. Today, I can't start it at all unless I pull the hotstart, even then it takes 4-7 good kicks. I have never had a problem like this before. Won't start with the choke on or off. From doing searches and reading other posts I have checked the obvious things like making sure the hotstart is not stuck open and making sure the fuel screw is still there. I even checked the valves and they are still perfect.

I am not sure what else to check. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

:applause:

Assuming gas, spark and valves are all good...

If the only way you are getting it to start is with the hot start pulled... my guess is that you are too rich in the low speed circuit.

Maybe take a look at your fuel screw setting or pilot size.

Did you check you valve timing marks?

Did you check you valve timing marks?

I turned the engine over until the marks on the right side lined up, checked to make sure the cam lobes pointed to the rear of the bike, then checked to make sure the marks on the cam chain lined up and were parallel to the head (they were). Is there more to it than this?

When I get home tonight I will check the fuel screw and possibly change out the gas. I know I have spark because once I do get it started, it seems to run alright (although I have just had it idleing in my garage)

It maybe that I got water in the fuel from washing it or that one of my drain hoses that is right by the fuel screw was rubbing against it and turning it while I was riding it.

Thanks

check your stator and see if there are any metal filings. i had this happen once on my old 02 cleaned them off and it did not happen again

aside from possibly having some water where it shouldn't be....

have you raced a scramble before? was it pretty muddy and dirty? I know this is a stupid question, but did you look at your air cleaner? Just a thought.

Even when I switch from my foam filter to a K&N, the bike has issues with starting and I have to use special ju-ju magic holding the throttle cracked with the hot start. Otherwise, I have to fine tune the fuel screw.

sometimes it's the simple things, that's all.

had almost excact situation as i rode it one day started excellent at beginning of day and all day long no problem.next time different day went out to ride i bet i kicked it more than 100 times before it started ,then it started fine unless i let it cool down then it was hard to start.brought it home checked valves intakes were out of spec considerably exhaust perfect. i shimmed intakes and it starts first kick now everytime.so i would say your intake valves are out of spec.

Thanks for all the input guys, I have been around 2strokes all my life, but this is the first 4stroke I have had. This site is awesome!

I drained the fuel from the tank and bowl and put known good fuel in. It started up easier, but I still had to use the hotstart. Once it was warmed up, I adjusted the fuel screw out 2 turns (zipty) and it seems to idle fine. I kill it and pull the hotstart and it starts on the first kick. I am letting it cool down now and will go see if it starts up the normal way with the choke in a while (although its 80 deg here).

My weighted flywheel is in the mail now, when I install it I will have a chance to see if there are filings around the stator. I also cleaned the air filter (wasn't very dirty). I also checked the valves last night and they are in spec. I just find it wierd that it started all day during the race (believe me, I had plenty of opportunities to restart my bike) and when I get home, it's like a different bike.

Once it was warmed up, I adjusted the fuel screw out 2 turns (zipty) and it seems to idle fine. I kill it and pull the hotstart and it starts on the first kick.

Since you are coming off of a 2 stroke... you know the fuel screw on a 4-stroke does the opposite of what the air screw does on a 2-stroke.... right?

I am not trying to be a smart ass.... just wanted to make sure you knew backing out a fuel screw adds fuel to the mix... turning it in leans it out...

Hope you got it going good man...

Since you did just finish a harscrambel....you could even go as far as checking to see if maybe you rattled a jet loose. I know after my first harescramble there wasnt a bolt on my bike that wasnt loose. These races are hard bikes maybe you just need to give it a couple days off because its tired? :applause:

@ 80 degrees in OK, and two full turns out on the fuel screw, Im going to bet your too rich on the pilot circuit.

Go to the jetting forum and read up on how to confirm your pilot jet settings and get the screw right. These things want to be leaner than you'd think. And know that the thing wont hurt itself being too lean on the pilot like a two stroke can.

Thanks Shawn and everyone else. I followed some of the jetting posts and am pretty sure now my problem is with the fuel/air mixture. I might take a look at the jets and see if there is any debris in them if I can't dial it in with the fuel screw.

I general have my screw out between 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 and it is an 04 just like yours...

I had the same trouble you had and you know what it was?

Spark plug.

Replaced it and the bike starts and runs perfect.