Sign in to follow this  

I need some opinions

Im stuck I dont know which way to go. I had been riding dirtbikes for a while now and i decided to try something different. So I bought a quad.....:applause: and there just not for me. When ever I go out my friends dad always hurt himself and i end up riding his bike 99% of the time. He owns a 05 WR with a heavier fly wheel exhaust and power now kit, I havent ridden that many 450s but my butt dyno thinks it has good power. Hes about 6'2 260 pounds and im barely 5'8 145 pounds. I can handle his bike just fine, but it feels really top heavy especially on a flat/tt track.

So i think to myself 2-stroke is the way to go I know his bike is a WR and it has the added weight but i think less rotating mass helps more than anything in the turns. I want a bike that handles the turns and is reliable. The reliable part of a 2-stroke is where im worried. This guy with the wr450 also has a cr85 that he has blown up left and right. He seems to have something against 2-strokes. He thinks that 4-stroke motors will just eat a 2-stroke alive and be more reliable. I really dont want to be doing topends on a 2-stroke left and right. I know 4-stokes have problems, like honda and there valve issues, but the 4-stroke yamaha seems to be pretty much problem free, and I havent heard much bad about the ktms or huskys.

The majority of my riding is hill climbs and moderate speed trailing (too many turns to get going too fast). Ive riden a late 80s yz250 and I wasnt impressed with its hill climbing abililtes, but im sure there have been huge improvements. And on the techincal hills im worried about lossing the powerband and not making it up. I have yet to not complete a hill on the WR, and I cant have this guy say I told u so.

So with my hill climbs, worries about reliablity, and my need for a bike that handles what do you think the best bike for me would be. Sorry about the quad statement. Im sure there are those of you out there that love them but they are just not for me.

Another thing I have to add is that if i did get a 2-stroke it would have to be an older green sticker.

The bikes I am looking at are the 2004 Husky 450 e-start 2005 KTM 450 e-start YZF 450 and a 2001 cr250 no 250 4-strokes i like bottom end if I have a 4-stroke. Feel free to sell me on another bike though :lol:

I ride a 250 F in the woods - climbs hills pretty strong too . Keep an open mind and give one a try . Modern 4 T's have come a long way .

Sounds like you want the bottom end torque of a thumper . Get the 4 fiddy if your ego won't let you consider the 2 fiddy . :applause:

the only honda 4-stroke that has valve problems are the 250F's.. The CRF450 is fine. Just change the oil and clean the air filter frequently and they are good to go.

and like yamirider said, have an open mind toward 250F's.. a lot of people riding 450s would probably be faster on a 250 cause it is just to much bike for them.

The 250F's are very fast and have lots of power and are lighter. Give one a try, you'll be surprised.

Ive ridden a 250 4t but i wasnt all that aggresive at the time. Only thing that really stood out to me was that it seemed to get much more verticle air as the WR. mabey I will give another one a try. But if im faster on a 250 4t wouldnt i be even faster on a 2 stroke?

I think you'd really like a newer YZ250. Since your looking at the 2001 CR250, you should look at a YZ250 from '00 or '01. They are much better bikes with more low end than the CR. The 2 stroke will feel tremendously lighter than the WR you've been riding. Sorry, but your friends dad must be a pretty poor mechanic if the 85 has blown up 4 times and he can't figure out why. Instead of just putting it back together, he should have tried to figure out WHY it blew up in the first place (my guess is that there's an air leak he never fixed or the jetting is very lean and he doesn't understand it). The 2 strokes will be extremely reliable for you and actually require less maintenence than the newer 4 strokes as long as you make sure it's jetted right, otherwise you may foul plugs on occasion. You can also rebuild the top end on the 2 strokes for about $150, much cheaper than a 4 stroke.

But if im faster on a 250 4t wouldnt i be even faster on a 2 stroke?

that's what i think, but in reality it's not really about 'fast'. most good riders in most terrain ride about the same speed regardless. most modern bikes have all the power you need for most situations. the littler bikes will suffer slightly in deep sand and long long hills, so if that's all you ride it might be a concern.

i find a 250 2-stroke is alot more fun to ride, and it's much much easier for me to ride in tight and technical terrain, plus it's way quieter, but some people just prefer the feel of little 4-strokes.

i will say that if i know i'm just going to be putting around and stopping and chatting alot, i'll typically ride my 4-stroke. it's easier to ride it slow.

I guess fun factor is what its all about for me. I think as long as its reliable and im not being left behind by a 4t, that i would go for a 250 2 stroke. The WR guy is saying it costs him like 800 to rebuild the top end on his 85 and then 1600 for the bottom end. Im not too familiar on rebuilding a 2t, do you have to replace the jug as well as the piston and rings? and where do u buy your top end kits from?

how much would you pay for a 2001 yz compared to the cr 2001. And are they really that much better. ive seen threads where people are just in love with the 2001 and the older motor.

Wow....yea thats where I usally ride. What exactly gave it away. Well anyways what do u think about going 2 stroke for that area. I love passing people in 4th gear on the WR. I dont thik there are many people out there that can beat me up that hill. Think I can do the same with a 2T.

The only hill you might have problems on with a 2T is the lodge hill climb because it's really hard to get traction. Unless they took a little sand off. You would easily make it up twins if you kept it on the pipe, just make sure you don't flip over...

I think the tracks are pretty 2t friendly as well. You can get traction all over the different terrain on the mx tracks.

and have u seen snake lately it gets a little hairy. it just goes from rock to podwer over and over. I dont know if its snake that just what i call it .Its the one next to twin. I was spread eagle for a while swinging from one side to the other of the trail, on a yz250 at the top of third going about 2 miles an hour.

Call me crazy, but when I went to Hollister I didn't find any hills challenging. :applause:

Anyways, a 250 smoker will do fine hillclimbing. I definitely think 450's have the advantage, but a skilled rider can climb some gnarly hills with a 250 2t.

None of the hills at hollister are challenging. Twins is just a simple hill. But the lodge hill climb is really hard to get traction on with a smoker. Or at least it was. But, I spend most of my time on the tracks so don't listen to me :applause:

The honest truth! I just bought my son a 2002 yzf250r and it rips pretty good but when I switched back to my honda crf450r it just blew it away. The low end grunt and giddy up was twice as much. Go figure. 250 vs 450. For the riding you said you like to do you will have a perma grin riding a 450r. Test one somehow before you decide to purchase and you will quickly realize that there is no substitute for 450 power and predictable throttle control.

Will the difference in handling between yzf and a WR be a night and day situation. Cause i really want a bike that can handle. And i know the hill climbs at hollister arent challengeing. They are just fun to race people up.:applause:. Im sure I could do any hill at hollister on a 2T easily, but thats not the only place i ride.

So basically i cant a good handling bike and power if i want to go 4 stroke. thats what im gathering with all these 2504t recommendations.

Crap im leaning towards the 2 stroke. can anyone else throw something in there to sway me.