Sign in to follow this  

Xt 200 shock rebuild

Anyone have info on rebuilding the shocks on my 83 xt 200 ? Or were to get a manual for free off the net ? this bike is soo old and so far i still have to pay 30 $ to view the freakin thing

Anthony B

What I remember is a sealed shock that can't be rebuild. But I haven't even looked at the XT200 taking up space in my garage for about 15 years. So I could be wrong.

I have a clymer manual. If I remember I will look it up for you and try to scan it. There is an xt200 being parted on ebay.

Allen

I have a clymer manual. If I remember I will look it up for you and try to scan it. There is an xt200 being parted on ebay.

Allen

If you could do that id much appreciate it

P.s I'm pretty sure you can rebuild these shocks But says the other guy i might not be able to hmmm il have to check them out.

Anthony

I don't know if they are rebuildable or not. The xt200 was sorta of the bottom enty level bike so it didn't have the best parts.

Allen

The shock is welded on both ends. So unless you own a plasma cutter it isn't rebuidable. And, since even new it had about as much damping as the hatch struts on my Cherokee, it is more or less pointless anyway. But, if you really must go down this road, maybe you can find a junker '78 YZ125 somewhere and see if that shock can be made to work. That was my plan before I parked mine.

BTW, the hot setup from back in the day was to bore the little sucker out 2mm and slap an XS400 piston in it. You also have to put an extra base gasket or two in to get the compression low enough to run on pump gas. Then find some bigger jets, drill the airbox and put a universal Supertrapp on it. It turns that little motor into a screamer. Which is why mine is beyond thrashed.