Sign in to follow this  

Silverado problem

hey i have gone through a few sets of hub bearings for the front right wheel. its is driven normaly on pavement only. wondering if any one else had the problem?

hey i have gone through a few sets of hub bearings for the front right wheel. its is driven normaly on pavement only. wondering if any one else had the problem?

Year, model (1500, 2500, etc) miles, 4x4, lifted, tire size, etc would be helpful-how long are they lasting???

its an 04 silverado 1500 4x4 5.3L no lift and 32" tires it happend the first time before i got the tires berings lasted about about 8000 mile

Yea, the 99+ Chevy/GMC 1500 wheel bearings suck. The dust cover comes off and dirt gets inside of it. It's very common.

Yea, the 99+ Chevy/GMC 1500 wheel bearings suck. The dust cover comes off and dirt gets inside of it. It's very common.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the K1500s come with dust caps. Just the K2500s I think.

I have seen water and rust make it past the speed sensor o-ring and into the bearing on the 1500s . There is a bulliten for the speed sensor and rust intrusion issue, depending on if you are located in a salty region. In Canada it only applies to the Eastern provinces.

The cap is mainly cosmetice on the K2500s (Although it does keep road splash away from the C/V shaft nut and washer). Some say water can get past the nut and washer, but I've never seen one fail specifically due to that reason. I don't see dirt or dust making it past the nut and washer either.

I'm guessing the repeated failure is due to improper torque on the C/V axle nut. Some guys just hammer them on with an impact and don't understand you are preloading the bearing with the proper torque. I'm not sure of the torque spec off the top of my head. It is quite high. 165 ft/lb comes to mind. Don't quote me on that...

JMO

Just food for thought, is someone slamming into a parking block or curb when parking the truck. I have seen other front end problems due to things like that.