Sign in to follow this  

What do you think of those handguards?

Hi all,

I am trying to find cheap handguards. My bike currently have plastic open handguards (UFO brand), but it do not find them adequate: I would prefer aluminum for robustness and closed type for protecting my levers and my hands...

I am a newbie driver (i.e. very bad :applause: ) and do not plan to make MX jumps anytime soon, so I am not too concerned about my hand/arms beeing trapped in the loops and breaking (the usual reason for going to open handgards). I will mount them quite low nonetheless, I think it should make me safe if I go over the handlebar...

Acerbis seems to be the major player here in Belgium, but they are expensive, too expensive for me considering buying new (I may consider used ones).

During my search, I found this on EBay: http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260095269868&rd=1&rd=1

They call it "venom" handguards, never seen anything about it on internet, so I am a little bit hesistant, but even considering the shipping cost, it is quite cheap for new aluminium reinforced handguards, at least in Europe

Do you have any experience with those? good or bad?

Thanks!

Greg.

I'm kinda guessing here, but 36 Euros roughly equates to $48 US dollars, so that isn't a bad price, considering what bikes cost over there.:lol:

As long as it's an aluminum reinforced guard, combined with the plastic shields, they should be all right-even if you do break the plastic portion, you can still remove the plastic and run them as a straight aluminum guard with no shields.

Looks like it comes with a full hardware kit for both aluminum or steel bars, so that's a plus.:applause:

I have never heard of "Venom" guards either, but I'd say go for it, unless you can get something cheaper that is similar, they look to be a decent guard, just not a fancy name on them.

thanks! I was worried of having different types of aluminium treatments, or too small cross section that could mean the bar is weak, or fixation that do not stand impact (I see on another thread that some people ended buying Acerbis or Moose fixation set to replace the original cheesy one, negating the cheap price advantage) but from what you said I guess this is not a problem.

The plastic spoiler I am not too worried about, if it is really crappy I can probably combine my UFO flag-handguard with the naked bar with a little bit of creative drilling/cutting :applause:

thanks! I was worried of having different types of aluminium treatments, or too small cross section that could mean the bar is weak, or fixation that do not stand impact (I see on another thread that some people ended buying Acerbis or Moose fixation set to replace the original cheesy one, negating the cheap price advantage) but from what you said I guess this is not a problem.

The plastic spoiler I am not too worried about, if it is really crappy I can probably combine my UFO flag-handguard with the naked bar with a little bit of creative drilling/cutting :applause:

It could be that they are not made of super-strong aluminum, but if you crash hard enough, somthing's gonna give, sooner or later.

I think the ones they were talking about were the Rocky Mt ATV brand-they tend to have some cheaper components in them.

I have been using the Maier brand guards for about 4 years. They have taken a lot of abuse from woods racing and riding. They are the best for the money. $62 from Rocky Mountain. I have also never bent my Renthal bars or broke a lever since I installed them. Anything can break in a hard crash. These have been tested many times in hard crashes and are still going on feeling strong. Good Luck!!!

Powermadd makes great hand guards

PLUS they got a one year warranty on the gaurds AND mounting kit. Im getting some when i get a little extra money.

I'm kinda guessing here, but 36 Euros roughly equates to $48 US dollars, so that isn't a bad price, considering what bikes cost over there.:eek:

As long as it's an aluminum reinforced guard, combined with the plastic shields, they should be all right-even if you do break the plastic portion, you can still remove the plastic and run them as a straight aluminum guard with no shields.

Looks like it comes with a full hardware kit for both aluminum or steel bars, so that's a plus.:applause:

I have never heard of "Venom" guards either, but I'd say go for it, unless you can get something cheaper that is similar, they look to be a decent guard, just not a fancy name on them.

I followed your advice, and ordered it :lol:

I received it yesterday, and so far here are my impressions:

On the plus side:

handguards seems good, thick aluminium bar that look strong, spoilers thick and strong too, have the bended shape for lateral quick-exit that seems to be the trend nowadays :lol:

Comes with expanding mounts for both steel and aluminum handlebar.

On the minus side:

mounting kit is very rough, finish is very bad (never see machined aluminum looking so bad, I do a better job with my driller and jigsaw at home :lol: ). It seems relatively strong though, cause it is thick, but boy is it ugly :lol: it is so fugly I will sandpaper it a little bit and unsharpen the edge, only for safety reasons...

Length of screws is sometime a little bit on long side, but not a big deal, and spoiler screws need tightening...

What worry me more is that the bar themselves look too long to be comfortably fitted on my WR450....If have to think about it more, but maybe people can help the newbie here :lol::

Do all aluminium handlebar have standard dimensions? Inside-oustide diameter of mine is ok (standard), but is it possible the overall width of it is smaller than usual?

I have seen on the net some advice to bend your handguards if they are too long/to short, but I am not keen on this, it may weaken the bar...and difficult to come out symmetric...

My bars have 3 holes towards the center of the handle bar, which allow to tune the separation between central fixation, and fixation at the end of the handlebars. However, this is not really the problem, the problem is that the end of the aluminum guards extend too far toward the center and there is not enough room with the fork tube, triple clamp and headlight mountings...So I may cut at the second hole, keeping only the outer hole as mounting position, and shaving 2-3 cm off the guards....

OK, even with this I am happy with my buy, good value for the money, but it is not for people that want a painless install in 10 minutes with only 1 allen key, or are anal about a well-finished product :goofy:

I followed your advice, and ordered it :lol:

I received it yesterday, and so far here are my impressions:

On the plus side:

handguards seems good, thick aluminium bar that look strong, spoilers thick and strong too, have the bended shape for lateral quick-exit that seems to be the trend nowadays :eek:

Comes with expanding mounts for both steel and aluminum handlebar.

On the minus side:

mounting kit is very rough, finish is very bad (never see machined aluminum looking so bad, I do a better job with my driller and jigsaw at home :lol: ). It seems relatively strong though, cause it is thick, but boy is it ugly :lol: it is so fugly I will sandpaper it a little bit and unsharpen the edge, only for safety reasons...

Length of screws is sometime a little bit on long side, but not a big deal, and spoiler screws need tightening...

What worry me more is that the bar themselves look too long to be comfortably fitted on my WR450....If have to think about it more, but maybe people can help the newbie here :lol::

It could be that the bars were cut down, or you have shorter bars to make them easier to get through the trees, many woods riders in my area cut their bars down to about 30" or so to lessen impacts.

Do all aluminium handlebar have standard dimensions? Inside-oustide diameter of mine is ok (standard), but is it possible the overall width of it is smaller than usual?

Here is a list of different bar widths available from Pro-Taper alone, you can see that not all bars are the same http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=408&s=2

I have seen on the net some advice to bend your handguards if they are too long/to short, but I am not keen on this, it may weaken the bar...and difficult to come out symmetric...

I don't see where bending them (with some control like a vise and pipe) would hurt them, I had to do this on my TTR125 to make the handguards fit right, since it's a small bike, with small bars, and they are holding up fine.:applause:

My bars have 3 holes towards the center of the handle bar, which allow to tune the separation between central fixation, and fixation at the end of the handlebars. However, this is not really the problem, the problem is that the end of the aluminum guards extend too far toward the center and there is not enough room with the fork tube, triple clamp and headlight mountings...So I may cut at the second hole, keeping only the outer hole as mounting position, and shaving 2-3 cm off the guards....

Trimming them down is another option, just be sure you have enough room inside the guards for your levers-many guards are so tight in that there is no room in the guard for your fingers to get around the lever.

OK, even with this I am happy with my buy, good value for the money, but it is not for people that want a painless install in 10 minutes with only 1 allen key, or are anal about a well-finished product :lol:

Nothing comes easy, and isn't ingenuity half the fun?

And show us some pics of it, it's alot easier to see what you're talking about than try to understand description's sometimes.:applause:

It could be that the bars were cut down, or you have shorter bars to make them easier to get through the trees, many woods riders in my area cut their bars down to about 30" or so to lessen impacts.

Here is a list of different bar widths available from Pro-Taper alone, you can see that not all bars are the same http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=408&s=2

Thanks! mine was not cutted (or the guy did a pro job on the cutting, including a 45 degree taper to avoid sharp edges :lol: )... but even stock ones seems to have at least a 2'' variation in width, enough to explain my problems :eek:

Trimming them down is another option, just be sure you have enough room inside the guards for your levers-many guards are so tight in that there is no room in the guard for your fingers to get around the lever.

This is ok, those handguards are on the large side, enough to but both my levers and my arms inside :lol::applause:

Nothing comes easy, and isn't ingenuity half the fun?

I agree totaly, but then I like tinkering in general so it is not surprising :lol:

And show us some pics of it, it's alot easier to see what you're talking about than try to understand description's sometimes.

He he sure, especially MY descriptions: I am not a native english speaker (surprise....:lol: ), and I do not know too many technical terms for describing bike parts,

so sorry for everyonone having trouble following my descriptions attempts....I will try to post photos, not sure I have time cause I leave for a 2 weeks holliday this friday and things are a little bit rushed now at work...Else, it will be when I am back...

BTW, thanks for your posts: you are one of the faster answerer I have encountered on any forum in a long time :lol: