Sign in to follow this  

UPDATE on our Lil red Lady.

Well most of the gang here knows of our struggle with our CRF250X (race converted) over the lst 2 years but she is back.

After rebuilding the output side of the transmision from the July 23rd 2006 explosion:eek: It is once again back together. This time I freshed the RHC inspired head. Still have the Eric Gorr 262 / JE setup with a new slug. I also replaced the Crank/bearings with an OEM. by the way I have a new 250 R model Hot rod Crank that I am selling as it does not fit the X. During this build I tried the Hot Cam 2 cam.

I fired it up for 5 minutes before we loaded it into the trailer the friday before last. We drove to South Carolina and broke her in at TNT Motorsorts Inc. We then traveled to Florida and rode about 30 miles of single track and ATV trail on sunday. Tuesday we raced the Triton GNCC on the KTM-SX and Junior dislocated his shoulder.

Thursday was the CRF's big showing at the Aligater Enduro. Junior drew a bad row even with preentering 4 months prior..Row 91 was his startt at 10:31am. Well the CRf got some new oil and a check of fasteners. At 12:22 it arrived at the Gas Stop. Sounding awesome and Junior alittle red faced. He was in pain. He said he stalled it once and it took about 4-5 minutes to refire for some reasom but he said it stalled twice after that and it fired easy. Well we topped it off with fuel, pumped Junior with some asprin/motrin and off he went. well at the finish Junior came down the road on half a wheelie and gave a cool that was fun to the score keeper. the score keeper said well we didn't make the race hard enough if you had that much fun....LOL. Junior said it was tight and fast. Later he said the bike was awesome and he can't wait until the ECEA opener this weekend at Sandy Lane up in NJ. He said he stuffed it hard in the points taker section and stung the shoulder so he just road it out of that section, then had fun on the free time back to the finish.

Comments on the Hotcam 2, R flywheel. 262 combo was awesome power all over at race pace. Better in the woods than the 04 R cam. the 262 gives enough lowend but the Hotcam 2 brings on alot of mid range but pulls better than the old original hot cam amd seems to rev smoother than the 04R cam.

Thousands of dollars later and hundreds of hours wrenching and this lil red lady finally bowed down for me...

From my discusions about the hot cam stage 2 it apears that it ether likes a little more displacment or a higher than 13.5-1 compresion ratio in a 250 it sound as if its going to be a cheap altenative to my cams for a big bore .

From my discusions about the hot cam stage 2 it apears that it ether likes a little more displacment or a higher than 13.5-1 compresion ratio in a 250 it sound as if its going to be a cheap altenative to my cams for a big bore .

Hmmmm...when i do my top end on my 07 I was planning on doing the Eric Gorr 262 kit with a head from RHC (stainless set up). Will i need a cam to take full advantage? What will this set up be like with the stock cam, etc....

What jetting changes are typical for this set up?

Hmmmm...when i do my top end on my 07 I was planning on doing the Eric Gorr 262 kit with a head from RHC (stainless set up). Will i need a cam to take full advantage? What will this set up be like with the stock cam, etc....

What jetting changes are typical for this set up?

Be aware that the 262 kit I use needs a fresh piston at all times. Do not run it for alot of hours (35-50).. If you run hard/prostyle racing or you are an ex125 rider then stay close to the 35 hour mark IMO. I have a EG piston on the shelf from Wiseco that I have not tried, I have used my JE stock first. The Wiseco is a 12.9:1 compression set up, I wish it was more, maybe I can talk Eric into a batch with more compression. The JE was 13.5:1 so with my corrections it is very close to 14:1...

The OEM R cam is very good. Expect it to not rev out as far (over rev) with a 262 or 270

Jetting, is close to stock atleast in our case. We run U4 race fuel and a JD kit.

45 pilot, red needle on #5, 172 main

We also shaved the head .008" and run a thin head gasket like the 04 R / X which is thinner...

Good to hear it's running strong.:applause: How come those pistons don't last longer than that?

Are the pistons wearing that much and rocking around?

Good to hear it's running strong.:applause: How come those pistons don't last longer than that?

Are the pistons wearing that much and rocking around?

That's what I was wondering. Or is it just a HP loss that you are concerned about?

Be aware that the 262 kit I use needs a fresh piston at all times. Do not run it for alot of hours (35-50).. If you run hard/prostyle racing or you are an ex125 rider then stay close to the 35 hour mark IMO. I have a EG piston on the shelf from Wiseco that I have not tried, I have used my JE stock first. The Wiseco is a 12.9:1 compression set up, I wish it was more, maybe I can talk Eric into a batch with more compression. The JE was 13.5:1 so with my corrections it is very close to 14:1...

The OEM R cam is very good. Expect it to not rev out as far (over rev) with a 262 or 270

Jetting, is close to stock atleast in our case. We run U4 race fuel and a JD kit.

45 pilot, red needle on #5, 172 main

We also shaved the head .008" and run a thin head gasket like the 04 R / X which is thinner...

Good info.....

I don't race but i do recreational MX so I am not gonna beat it totally. Eric claims (as a result of testing) that the wiseco piston that comes in his 262 kit is good for 100 hours. That combined with Ron's head work is what I am looking for longevity wise, with a bit more low and mid.....:applause:

Erics new Wiseco forging is very nice. Skirts are a tad beefier than the JE and are coated. That may help. I know Eric has tested his 262 with a few very tough on equipment riders including my son. I always try to be on the safe side.

My reasoning on the 262 is the Stock 05 and up OEM Cylinder is bored and replated. It gets mighty thin at the Skirt area that hangs into the cases. Eric does carefully debur and chamfer all edges. Anyway the piston needs to be a tight fit as the slipper design on the Honda allows for alot of rocking once it wears. The piston rocking can cause cylinder skirt cracking. The thin 262 cylinder is more prone as it is thin. Even a few TR 270 that got the 100+ hour mark has seen the Iron skirt crack, rare but happens.

If my kid can run 7 Enduros and alot of trail rides and practice then I can see the average Joe racer get that 70-100 hour mark. Power will suffer.

By the way the 14:1 compression is actually better on the crank/rod and piston... It is a physics thing that I am poor at explaining.

Erics new Wiseco forging is very nice. Skirts are a tad beefier than the JE and are coated. That may help. I know Eric has tested his 262 with a few very tough on equipment riders including my son. I always try to be on the safe side.

My reasoning on the 262 is the Stock 05 and up OEM Cylinder is bored and replated. It gets mighty thin at the Skirt area that hangs into the cases. Eric does carefully debur and chamfer all edges. Anyway the piston needs to be a tight fit as the slipper design on the Honda allows for alot of rocking once it wears. The piston rocking can cause cylinder skirt cracking. The thin 262 cylinder is more prone as it is thin. Even a few TR 270 that got the 100+ hour mark has seen the Iron skirt crack, rare but happens.

If my kid can run 7 Enduros and alot of trail rides and practice then I can see the average Joe racer get that 70-100 hour mark. Power will suffer.

By the way the 14:1 compression is actually better on the crank/rod and piston... It is a physics thing that I am poor at explaining.

Awesome info. body man...thanks! :applause:

OK I had Enough. Went to fire her up and put here in the trailer today at 2:pm to leave for an enduro. We were late already since there is 12 inches of new snow on the ground, had to dig out trailer. Bike ran fine Wednesday around the yard.

Well the Ignition shit the bed. Seems we have the proper voltage at the Exciter but the Exciter seems to be out of spec. NO F'en Spark

this bitch is possessed, we need an Exorcist:smashpc: :applause::eek::lol:

Spent the last 3 hours prepping the KTM SX and trying to fit it with lights and a silencer.....

I wish I could use foul language here. If I happen to see a honda delaer on the way I may go postal...LOL.. only kidding.

I told the gang at the Enduro and they stayed away from us like we were the plague. LOL

The Black Cloud followed us even on the KTM... Junior came in to the first gas stop POed to say the least. The bike wont go.... My race is over I dropped 12 in that last section, I would have Zeroed it but the bike started breaking up. I changes the plug, Checked the silencer, tweaked the Air screw. Second gas stop he said the same thing ran worse. Clutch is getting hot, tight woods and the bike only runs good to about 3/8 throttle. Well At the end of the race He came in on time and wheelied across the lot, stabbed the brakes and it stalled. He said well I dropped (threw) the bike into a tree as I could not muscle the tight stuff any more. I picked it up and it reved out perfect but the Clutch won't disengage but I roade the last check that way and Zeroed it.. 9th in A Open so atleast some points... Well the end of a long flippen weekend.

Now for the start of the revenge against that Honda. I will be on the phone early monday to get a new coil/exciter. I hope that does it. In testing it the secondary side shows No resistance, open circuit.... The primary side is way out of spec also.

We have 3 straight enduros pre entered and ready to go , including the National in NJ.

Well time for a beer and a Vicodin for my bad back( that is another story) and to calm my nerves... after the 200 mile drive home to this lovely 12 inches of snow...

I'm in CT. My bikes in peices. If you need to borrow mine for a couple weeks no problem. I am out until mid-april from foot surgeries.:applause:

Thanks, If I get stuck I will give you a shout.

I hope your foot does OK. I was out since labor day and got the docs release 2 weeks ago. Still he recommends not riding untill June or July. So all my focus is back on Junior's riding.

Again thanks

Well got the new coil nad still no spark. further testing is showing the stators internal exciter coil to be dead. Open when testing. I have a good R motor botom end in the shop and that stator is not an open circuit. I can hot wire that stator in to atleast test for spark.

2 ignition components failing at once... I wish Honda would read my post again, I think I have a case for the lemon law. I am starting to break down and end this quest with the CRF250..............

It runs again, grafted in an R stator for now. I am not spending another dime on it. We plan on running the National enduro this sunday, I will charge the battery and Junior will just have to kick her if the battery goes dead.

I am glad it is over. this thread was boring anyway, I sound like a broken record...

Bodyman, I always enjoy your posts, but man, I gotta say, you have had the worst luck with your bikes lately, no matter KTM or Honda. It breaks on you. I think you need an exorcist, go get your bikes blessed and try again!!!

Anyone know of a good multi-brand (multi-denominational) exorcist????

I hope your next race goes better, let us know!