Sign in to follow this  

FT500 Racing Motor Help

I road race an '83 FT591 powered '89 TZ250, and I'm finding that I need to talk to all types of bike riders to keep my machine going. I hope you dirt diggers will help out a pavement pounder like me! This is a long post, and if you have something to say and don't want to type, please feel free to pm me with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Some background on the motor: 1983 Honda FT500 w/ EDC0 591cc kit (piston, sport--not race--cam, titanium springs), balanced crank, and Carillo rod. There is no battery on the bike.

First, I need to limit the revs in some way. I told myself that I would be good and keep things around 6500 rpm, but I was consistently running near 8k toward the end of the straight (even after moderating the throttle before the kink), and my Tiny Tach indicates that I actually hit 9,200 rpm at one point. I'm glad I still have a motor! Am I being too conservative in my max revs?

I'm considering replacing the Tiny Tach (pretty useless because of its 1/2 second refresh rate) with a SPA shift light/rpm indicator At least I'll know when I "should" be shifting. I want to install a Dyna DRL-300CDI rev limiter, as well. Can these be powered by the bike's system, or would I be better off installing a separate lightweight 12-volt rechargeable battery?

That should take care of max rpm, but then I still have to figure out how to get speed with the rpm restriction. So, I need to look at gearing.

The countershaft sprocket can't be larger than 16 T due to space restriction. So, I have to work with the rear chainwheel. I ran a 38-tooth because my chain was too long for anything smaller. But that theoretically limits me to a max speed of 105 mph with the 6,500 rev limit (thus the 8k+ I was running to get near 125 mph). As I look at gearing charts, I'm seeing possibilities like 133 mph with 16/30 at 6,500 rpm max. If I rev out to 7,500, I would need a 16/36 for the same results.

So, am I crazy/ignorant in thinking of going small on the back chainwheel, or does this seem like a useful solution.

Thanks for any and all help. I need to order parts soon!

Kurt

Wow that's a lot of speed out of that motor. I had an 81 XR500R and I never got the thing to break 100 no matter what I did with sprockets. No tach on the dirt bike, but I did calculate rpms off the speed. I had to aim for 7500 to 8000 rpm to get the max speed. I think that your 6500 is too low.

You are sure getting a lot more torque out of your engine than I did, but I don't think that you will have enough to pull that 16/30 gearing. It may be that your 38 is optimum. How was it pulling at 8000 rpm? The only thing to do is experiment. Get a shorter chain, a few rears, like 36 and 34, and try them out.

As far as a battery goes, the simplest thing to use is a small gel cell. These are lead acid batteries. A 12 volt 1.2 Amp hour version weigh a pound or so. Not the very lightest battery. If you still have the rectifier/regulator on the bike then just put it in place of the normal battery and the bike will keep it charged. If you don't make a charging wire that plugs into a cigarette lighter for your car/truck. You could also just use 8 AA batteries and replace them when they wear out. All of this depends on the current that the limiter needs. You need enough to power it during your race.

You could just run a capasiter instead of the battery if you dont need a battery to run the bike as it sits. Then you'd have a 12V source with almost zero wieght.

I dont know why your so worried about the RPM on that motor. 6500 is about the bottom of the envelope Id think. I think the stock redline on that thing was about 10,500 and youve got better springs and a good crank. Am I missing something?

I have been racing a Ascot since 1984. I pretty much have the same motor combo but I have a larger cam and oversize valves alog with a custom machined piston and head work. You need to have the overall diameter of the rear wheel. I ahve pulled as high as 136MPH on my bike. I run a 17inch rear wheel with a 140 70 tire. I have never had a problem over reving the engine. I run a battery powered tach from a racing gocart. It is kins of nice. It give RPM in a digital read out along with cyclinder head temp so it helps with jetting. The last dyno sheet I had I was at 64 hp and 55 ftlbs torque. I hope this helps. My CR is also 13.5 to 1