Sign in to follow this  

2006 CRF150F Battery

Is there an inherent problem with the electric start on the 2006 CRF 150F? I bought the bike and within six months the battery was dead (couldn't be recharged). I bought another battery and installed it and within a week or two the battery was dead again (I could charge it this time). Does having the key in the ignition drain the battery? Does having the key in the ignition and having it turned ON drain the battery? What other causes could lead to the battery's depletion?

Thanks,

If you keep the key at on, it will drain the battery. If the key is at off and in the ignition, it will not drain the battery. It happend the same thing to me.

you really need to charge it with a Battery Tender charger. a full size auto battery charger will overcharge it in just a little time and then you end up with a cooked cell. It's just a small battery with not much capacity.

You need to leave the key in the off position just like your car.

my 230 battery died ONCE and i always turn it OFF and remove the key but i hooked it up to a charger and it started right up, never had a problem since

you really need to charge it with a Battery Tender charger. a full size auto battery charger will overcharge it in just a little time and then you end up with a cooked cell. It's just a small battery with not much capacity.

You need to leave the key in the off position just like your car.

I second that. A full size will fry it.

Mine's an 05'- Why can you leave the key on but not with an 06'?

E7O, I suggest you get the battery tender and that you take the key out of the bike when it is not being used. How do you like the bike? I have a friend who has one and he totally loves it...says it's better than fishing or hunting:)

I bought the bike for my son -- made a promise that if he made honor roll at school the whole year that I'd buy him one.

Anyway, we trade rides often (I ride a TRX400EX) and the bike is very fun and easy to ride. My friend owns a CRF230F and he has let me ride it as well -- I can ride the 150 all day long and not be tired...after a day with the 230 I'm spent. But for me (190 pounds), I like the 230 more than the 150 -- not only for the power, but the bigger wheels (the larger wheels really help for trail riding -- going up a hill with a rut from water drainage, the larger wheels make a huge difference.)

With that said, I bought the bike for my 14-year old (about 100 pounds or so). It was his first motorcyle -- he transitioned from a TRX90. The first ride with the bike (a 5 day trip to West Virginia) he was able to handle the bike perfectly -- not only riding a motorcyle, but handling a clutch as well.

The battery is somewhat a disappointment. I honestly hope my son accidently left the key on in the ignition to drain the battery -- I would hate to think there is something wrong electronically with a brand new bike.

By the way, thank you for all your posts.

I bought the bike for my son -- made a promise that if he made honor roll at school the whole year that I'd buy him one.

Anyway, we trade rides often (I ride a TRX400EX) and the bike is very fun and easy to ride. My friend owns a CRF230F and he has let me ride it as well -- I can ride the 150 all day long and not be tired...after a day with the 230 I'm spent. But for me (190 pounds), I like the 230 more than the 150 -- not only for the power, but the bigger wheels (the larger wheels really help for trail riding -- going up a hill with a rut from water drainage, the larger wheels make a huge difference.)

With that said, I bought the bike for my 14-year old (about 100 pounds or so). It was his first motorcyle -- he transitioned from a TRX90. The first ride with the bike (a 5 day trip to West Virginia) he was able to handle the bike perfectly -- not only riding a motorcyle, but handling a clutch as well.

The battery is somewhat a disappointment. I honestly hope my son accidently left the key on in the ignition to drain the battery -- I would hate to think there is something wrong electronically with a brand new bike.

By the way, thank you for all your posts.

I don't suppose you live in Ft. Meade do you?

Orionbeer:ride:

My original battery died after 4 months and wouldn't hold a charge. The dealer gave me a new one. No problems since.

I have a 55w custom headlght on mine. Killed the battery the other night, had to pull start it with the four wheeler because I was in a big hole.. Then it died at the gas station, but that time I kinda waddled up to second gear speed and started it. Even though it kills the battery quick if the bikes not on, it is really handy...

I bought two 2006 Honda CRF150F's, and one 2006 Yamaha TT125LE in April. The Yamaha holds its charge fine after three weeks of no use, but both Honda's drain completely in that time.

To make matters worse, the Honda takes quite a while to charge while riding, on the order of hours.

Yesterday my 14 year old and I spent a good deal of time push starting his 150 on muddy single track. The trail was pretty tough, and he is new to riding, so there was a lot of stalling going on.

I do wish Honda had put a kick start on these bikes. I would have been willing to pay a little more, and the weight wouldn't be noticeable considering how heavy these bikes are as it is. Heck, the Yamaha has a kick start (and so does my CRF205X).

I'm trickle charging the batteries as I write, and then plan to let them sit on the bench and watch to see how much voltage is lost over the next couple of days. I'll also check for leakage installed, but I don't think that is the issue as I'd have to have a short in not one but two new bikes.

I suspect that either the OEM battery is undersized, both batteries sat on a shelf for too long before the bikes were purchased, and/or the charging system leaves something to be desired.

cause the 06 has an elc. start

but the 05 has Electric start too, and I can leave my key on an not drain the battery. On your 06 does the key on drain your battery?:thumbsup:

but the 05 has Electric start too, and I can leave my key on an not drain the battery. On your 06 does the key on drain your battery?:thumbsup:

if your talking about the 05 150f it does NOT have an electric start or a battery of any charging system..