Sign in to follow this  

Green sticker for unregistered '02?

I'm shopping around for an '00 to '02 YZ250 for trail riding. I found a nice one, but it has never been registered. The seller lives in an area of Calif. that has lots of riding without regulation enforcement, so he never bothered to register it. If I buy this bike, and get a Bill of Sale, what kind of headaches will I face when I to try and get it registered with a green sticker? Is it pretty easy because all '02 and earlier get greens, or will I be getting into a nightmare of paperwork because it hasn't been registered before?

Thanks for your help.

probably not too much of a headache. Motorcycles are CHEAP to register, like $15 every two years or something. Just go to the DMV, and tell them you just bought it and need to reg it. you should be fine. Plus, you'll get a green sticker for an '02 or older 2-stroke.

Since it's an 02 it will get a green sticker so that shouldn't be a problem. The fact that it's never been registered will mean that when you go to register it you will be responsible for all the back registration fee's plus any penalties. If it was me I'd check with the DMV to find out how much those fee's and penalties are going to be and then negotiate them into the price you pay for the bike.

Don't buy it until the owner registers it.

Does he have the pink slip?

Is the pink slip in his name?

If the answer to any of the above questions is 'no'. Then tell him to get the paperwork squared away and you'll buy it.

Why didn't he register it? Don't believe the line 'I ride in an area with very little restrictions'. Well, last time I checked, the DMV has reach everywhere in the state, regardless of OHV area restrictions.

If it smells like a fish, it probably is a fish. Look elsewhere...

Good luck.

Don't buy it until the owner registers it.

Does he have the pink slip?

Is the pink slip in his name?

If the answer to any of the above questions is 'no'. Then tell him to get the paperwork squared away and you'll buy it.

Why didn't he register it? Don't believe the line 'I ride in an area with very little restrictions'. Well, last time I checked, the DMV has reach everywhere in the state, regardless of OHV area restrictions.

If it smells like a fish, it probably is a fish. Look elsewhere...

Good luck.

You're right about checking for the pink slip and making sure the name matches. Didn't even think about the bike being stolen.

I appreciate all the advice on this. As far as riding the bike unregistered goes, I can see where that could be true. I used to live up in the Truckee/Tahoe area, and rode off-road up there for years without being checked for registration. If this seller is riding in places other than official ORV areas, he could probably get away with the same thing. But getting him to bring the bike up to date with DMV is sound advice. I'll definitely talk with him about that. My biggest concern is that DMV doesn’t try to say the bike gets a red sticker because its first official registration date is in ’07. I’m hoping they’ll go by year of manufacture, rather than year of first registration.

:applause: I did the same thing with my '01 Honda, but I was the seller. I had the pink slip, bill of sale from the previous owner, everything.

No biggie. Sale went thru without a hitch. Registration was not an issue.

The fact that it's never been registered will mean that when you go to register it you will be responsible for all the back registration fee's plus any penalties. If it was me I'd check with the DMV to find out how much those fee's and penalties are going to be and then negotiate them into the price you pay for the bike.

That's not true. How can you be responsible for past-due fees for a bike that won't even be in the DMV database?

I just registered a bike that was unregistered alot longer than this one. I don't recall it being expensive.

Tim

You should have the seller get the bikes cali. titled. And then make the deal. This way is cleaner and you won't have to bring the bike to dmv for # verification. The bike will be in thier data base. If not you'll need the original papers from the manufacturer and a purchase agreement from the seller. You then bring the paperwork and bike to dmv. You got to watch for that question about when the bike first entered cali., I think there is some sort of penalty regarding that.

I appreciate all the advice on this. As far as riding the bike unregistered goes, I can see where that could be true. I used to live up in the Truckee/Tahoe area, and rode off-road up there for years without being checked for registration. If this seller is riding in places other than official ORV areas, he could probably get away with the same thing. But getting him to bring the bike up to date with DMV is sound advice. I'll definitely talk with him about that. My biggest concern is that DMV doesn’t try to say the bike gets a red sticker because its first official registration date is in ’07. I’m hoping they’ll go by year of manufacture, rather than year of first registration.

you don't have to worry. you only get a red sticker if the bike was *manufactured* after 2002. The registration date does not matter.

That's not true. How can you be responsible for past-due fees for a bike that won't even be in the DMV database?

I just registered a bike that was unregistered alot longer than this one. I don't recall it being expensive.

Tim

Well it's true for a car or a motorcycle with a plate. The DMV won't register a vehicle with past due fees until they are paid. It may be different with a red/green sticker but I'd still check with the DMV before I bought it.

Well it's true for a car or a motorcycle with a plate. The DMV won't register a vehicle with past due fees until they are paid. It may be different with a red/green sticker but I'd still check with the DMV before I bought it.

This is not true. After five years the DMV deletes unregistered vehicles from it's database. After that there is no longer any back registration due. I have registered several bikes snd one car that were 10 or more years out of registration and I never had to pay any back fees. The key is a vehicle must be 5 or more years out. I have been offered bikes 2 or 3 years out of reg and I never bought one because of the excessive DMV fees. Since this bike was never registered it is not in the DMV database. There is also no pink slip since that is issued when the vehicle was initially registered.

The one thing that is absolutely required is a signed bill of sale.

One thing to remember is he says it was never registered. Who knows if that is true. It could even be stolen. The best thing to do is get the VIN number and take that to the DMV and the local Sheriff and have them run it. They should tell you it's status. The answer you want is "We don't have this VIN on file."

When we purchased new bikes from a dealer they handled the initial registration, taxes, etc. Did he buy mail order or out of state?

Does he have the original paperwork / receipt?

Did he buy mail order or out of state?

Does he have the original paperwork / receipt?

CA DMV's don't like out of state dirt bikes. I think the key in this whole scenario is to get the owner to get things up to snuff with registration. That places the burden on him and keeps you free and clear of any and all possible negative scenarios. If he won't do that, look elsewhere. It's not worth the possible hassles.

This keeps getting more interesting. I remember a few years ago, when the green/red sticker thing was a confusing mess, some shops were selling bikes with red stickers, while other shops were selling the same type of bike and getting a green sticker issused for them. At that time, the DMV was struggling to keep things properly sorted. They eventually declaird all 2-strokes made after '03 would be red, and all made in '02 and before would be green. Am I right so far? Anyway, the seller of this bike has just sent me a couple of high resolution digital photos. I can now see on the fork tube, a red sticker from '02. So this bike had been registered at one time (probably by the original owner) and was issued a red sticker. So now the question is...Even though they say all bikes '02 and older get a green, what about the bikes made back then that were originally issued a red? Will DMV change it to green when you renew the registration?

Personally, I'd take a pass on this bike. Yes it should be green, but once red, you'll have a more difficult time getting it green stickered. Again, I'd tell the seller that you'll pay the registration fees if it comes back green, but HE has to do it. He should walk in and walk out with a sticker - not wait for weeks if you mail it in. Otherwise....there's lots of bikes out there FS.

I would have him go to DMV and do the deal there after you get the low down on the bike.It could be a Canadian bike and cant be registerd in CA, or as someone said stolen, just not current on fees and then you will have to pay the back fees, etc.

I checked into a similar situation a couple of years ago and the DMV told me they would register it, but that it was necessary to buy a 3 year bond to cover the bike in case it later was reported as stolen. My insurance guy said that such a bond was available for about $200.

i don't see how a new bike could go unregistered, you have to pay for it when you buy it new.i could see if the tags were out of date, but never registered? seems shady to me.