Sign in to follow this  

DR 650 shifter seal

I recently bought an '05 DR 650 with 4,300 miles. About 200 miles into my riding, it developed a leak from the shifter seal. I replaced the seal, but a couple of weeks later the leak was back and worse than before. Is it possible I did it wrong? Can some type of sealant be used along with the seal to stop this leak?

Lay the bike on the right side and use some contact cleaner to clean the mating surface for the seal. Put some thin gasket sealer around the outside of the seal. The gray Yamaha stuff works well for me. Lube the lips of the seal with some grease and cover the splines with some plastic or aluminum foil before installation. Covering the splines is very important. You need to protect the seal lips from damage during installation. A piece of 3/4" plastic pipe can be used to install the seal.

Also, be sure to inspect the shift shaft for wear/damage. If the shift shaft shows significant wear you can repair it using a CR Speedi-sleeve.

http://www.chicago-rawhide.com.au/Products/speedisleeve.htm

Lay the bike on the right side and use some contact cleaner to clean the mating surface for the seal. Put some thin gasket sealer around the outside of the seal. The gray Yamaha stuff works well for me. Lube the lips of the seal with some grease and cover the splines with some plastic or aluminum foil before installation. Covering the splines is very important. You need to protect the seal lips from damage during installation. A piece of 3/4" plastic pipe can be used to install the seal.

Also, be sure to inspect the shift shaft for wear/damage. If the shift shaft shows significant wear you can repair it using a CR Speedi-sleeve.

Another thing you can do is remove the tension spring from the inner seal lip and shorten it a bit. It's a very small extension spring with a tapered end that screws into it's own end. Grasp the spring on either side of the spot where you can see its threaded together and unscrew it. Cut a small piece of the non-tapered side of the spring off with sharp snips or scissors and screw the spring back together by preloading the twist so the spring tries to screw itself back together. This is a little hard to do with this small of a spring but if your shift shaft is worn it can increase seal contact area with the shaft and stop leaks. :applause:

Thanks for the good step-by-step instructions. Since I was changing the oil anyway, I drained the oil and left the bike upright for the seal replacement. I got the seal done very quickly, finished the oil change and and took it for a 25 mile ride...not a drop on the garage floor this morning. Thanks again.