Sign in to follow this  

Knee cartalige question

Greetings everyone,

Two years ago I tore the meniscus in my left knee riding. Knee swelled, would pop consistantly when I squatted and on occasion when I would just be walking or climbing stairs or whatever. Got that trimmed and all is well.

Last month I experienced similar symptoms (in the other knee, go figure) after a day of riding (swelling that seemed to come from nowhere about 4 hours after riding, stiffness for a day or so). I iced it and rested it, gradually working up from walking to jogging to running over the next week or two. It would click if I squatted deeply, but not nearly as bothersome as two years ago with the other knee. In fact I can't say it really even hurt to do it. My only problem is, I went riding the weekend before last Sat. and Sun. Sun. it was a little stiff and sore but not too bad. Monday it was significantly stiff. I've been resting it since and its almost back to normal. Whats weird this time is that its not the clicking this time that bothers me, its the swelling and stiffness afterward. I can feel it click sometimes when I go from a sit to a stand coming out of a corner, but it doesn't really hurt or anything.

I guess I'm wondering if anybody has had any experiences like this, and what they did. Obviously I'd prefer to avoid surgery (though I guess that would make me even at least) but if its going to swell and get stiff every time I ride thats no good either.

Dr. Mark if it continues to not feel good I'll check out your site some more. One of my concerns about surgery is that I just moved to SW Missouri and I don't know any doctors in the area. Perhaps it would be worth the drive to Texas if I have to go that route.

I thnk you made the diagnosis-torn meniscus.

If if keeps bothering you, take a ride down here or hop on a SWA flight for 36 hours. You will be riding ten days afterward.

I put a little tear in mine playing football and I had a lot of the same symptoms you did, and a few more. I went to a lot of doctors and I finally got a good treatment. I had to wear a Don-Joy knee brace. It worked wonders for me, after 6 weeks my knee healed to almost where it was beofre, my ACL is still stretched though. I have to wear it when I ride or play football. Surgery free and pain free.

Yeah a couple places I looked indicated that if the tear is small enough, it might just wear down over time on its own. Not sure if that is just BS or not though. At this point I'm still holding out that it might just be ok. I'll put a ride on it this weekend and see how it feels. With the weather so nice I'm being really impatient about this though...

I don't rush people to surgery. I usually tell them to see if if doesn't get better on its own.