Sign in to follow this  

Lotta Questions

I'm looking at a 2007 DRZ400SM in black, but know next to nothing about the bike except that everyone here seems to love theirs.

I'm 48 and haven't ridden the street since 1980 though I've been riding MX again for the last 6 years. I just need a commuter bike for riding to work (26 mi 2 lane highway 1 way) and thought keeping the dirt bike geometry would help shorten the learning curve.

Could someone explain the difference between the models. I've seen three, the S, SM & E. Are there pros & cons or big differences in engine, suspension, available aftermarket parts between them? Any info you could throw out there would be appreciated.:applause:

Wow... 26 miles each way? Are you sure you want a dirt bike for this commute? You might want a corbin seat.

S - Street legal model with 36mm Mikuni BSR carb.

SM - SuperMoto, street legal model with 36mm Mikuni BSR carb.

E - Offroad, not street legal, used to come with Keihin FCR 41mm but now for '07 36mm BSR.

Wow there is a lot but basically:

The E is a dirt only model, comes with higher compression, better carb and is the lightest of the 3 models

The S is the duel sport version, good in dirt with mods, same carb as SM, lower compression than the E (due to 3 ply base gasket). Same forks as the E and a good choice for DS riding with mods.

The SM is basically the street model, different gearing than the S and E (15/45 and 14/47 respectively) and inverted forks (I think 99% sure).

After market part support for all models is great you want it you will find it, within reason.

The SM sounds like a good commuter for you, you might want to get taller gearing than it comes with stock to help out a little and get the FCR carb.

All the bikes need some stuff done to them. Protection for the cases (very soft magnesium), radiators, cam tensioner can stretch your cam chain but you can do it after you get it set up the way you want.

The S tires will make you mate the bike if its in wet grass or mud or sand...

There is a ton more. Do a few searches and check out the stickies at the top of the pages. Feel free to post more in this thread too.

For the use you describe it would have to be the SM, but it is still not the bike of choice for a 25 mile dual carrigway commute.

It will do it, and without problems, provide the speed stays below about 75mph, but can you do the time on a less than ideal seat.

I suppose to an extent it depends on what bikes you were used to in the past.

But don't be expecting a luxury ride.

I have regularly done 300 days on my old S, but I was used to it, and didn't find the seat that bad.

Neil. :applause::lol: :lol:

I was also wondering about the pipes that you can get for these, which ones really increase the performance of the bike. and can you get the powerbomb and a fmf can for the 07 sm. thanks for the replies

Yes you can get the FMF stuff for it. The Yosh pipe has the best performance but are a little sound for me...

Do a search you can find tons of threads on them. Also, there is an link at the very top of the page that has links to all kinds of after market stuff for the DRZ.

wow........26 miles :naughty:

seriously, you might want to really consider the VStrom 650 for this task.

I've raced AND ridden off-road, on-road, and have also done a mix of both on many, many different types of bikes well over 35+ years.

BUT with the routine daily commute of 26 big noes each way, at least for me personally, I would shoot for something a little bigger & a little more comfortable than a DRZ..........:lol:

If you really want a good dual-sport bike that works great in the dirt, the DRZ is your bag. But with this distance to cover daily, unless you take a daily diversion down the trails as part of your 26 each way, I'd really rather be on the VStrom............check it out, it's really a nice ride!! :applause:

I hope this helps, rather than clouds your decision.

Happy Riding !!

:lol::eek:

For commuting like that, I'd recommend a KLR650 or a DR650 (or even an F650 if money isn't an issue). You can buy a used KLR or DR for $3k, ride it for years and then sell it for nearly what you paid. Nice way to get reintroduced to the street and they work great on dirt roads and fine on wider trails. I have a street-licensed DRZ-E (and have had Hondas and BMWs) but my KLR is my favorite commuter.

I'm looking at a 2007 DRZ400SM in black, but know next to nothing about the bike except that everyone here seems to love theirs.

I'm 48 and haven't ridden the street since 1980 though I've been riding MX again for the last 6 years. I just need a commuter bike for riding to work (26 mi 2 lane highway 1 way) and thought keeping the dirt bike geometry would help shorten the learning curve.

Could someone explain the difference between the models. I've seen three, the S, SM & E. Are there pros & cons or big differences in engine, suspension, available aftermarket parts between them? Any info you could throw out there would be appreciated.:applause:

I have a 20 mile commute (one-way). I alternate between my road bike and my 'S' and enjoy both. I don't like the interstate with the 'S' but the local roads are way more fun. IMHO the SM would work well for you... you'll enjoy the ride instead of hate the commute.

Ive got a 26.2 mile commute each way as well. I don't ride all the time, but if I did I wouldnt see any issue doing it.

What type of speeds will you be doing on the commute. I agree that anything over about 70 for 10+ straight miles becomes lame fast. Ive got a mix of roads and on/offs so it breaks it up a bit plus I hit some traffic so I'm not wide open for 26 straight miles.

The other thing Id add is gas. I get about 85 miles to the tank so thats a fill up every other day. A bit of a pain so you could consider a larger tank?