Sign in to follow this  

Stupid Gearing Question

I got to thinking about gearing and how I never use 1st gear. Does anyone out there gear taller to the point where 1st is equivalent to 2nd and so on. Or would this throw off the spacing between gears too much?

Dude if you're on stock gearing (13/51) and race moto then I'm sure the consensus is to go to 13/52 i.e. gear it down so that 3rd gear is more accessible and useful (you're clutch may even last a little longer coz you won't have to use it as much).

SOUL is right

it will alow you to keep it in third easier in the corners with the 52

Thanks for th replies. I have actually added a tooth to the rear as you guys are suggesting. It seems to me that there is still some wasted top end speed by haveing a useless 1st gear. Has anybody here tried going to something that would make 1st gear the preferred gear for staring, 2nd for cornering etc.

Even if you went as small as the go in the front and as big as they go in the year i highly doubt you would use 1st on any rack or even trail

1st will never be usuable, only to take off. Try a 50T rear. You could also try a 14T front sprocket, they're cheap and can use the same length chain.

After I installed a higher compression piston and more importantly got my corner speed up I went back to the 51 but I agree with you guys -1st is for putting. I maay try the 50 as well to pull 2nd longer:excuseme:

Dude if you're on stock gearing (13/51) and race moto then I'm sure the consensus is to go to 13/52 i.e. gear it down so that 3rd gear is more accessible and useful (you're clutch may even last a little longer coz you won't have to use it as much).

Whoooo!We got this just a little backwords.

Top end:longer gears,+1 in the front equals-2 in the back.

Whoooo!We got this just a little backwords.

Top end:longer gears,+1 in the front equals-2 in the back.

Actually +1 front equals almost -4 in the rear

Divide rear by front to get the ratio.