Sign in to follow this  

Ride technique question for the supermoto dudes

I notice a lot of guys when in a turn, sticking their legs out and counter leaning like they're riding motocross instead of pavement, i did this riding my first street bike which was a dual sport because dirt riding was all I knew.

Here's a video where they're sticking out their legs:

This DR650 guy counter leans into the corners, that is, leaning the bike one way but positioning his body the other as you would do in the dirt.

So here's my question supermoto dudes, does riding a supermoto warrant this kind of technique even though the crotch rocket guys look at you like your retarded or is sticking out your leg and counter leaning plain wrong?

It is really up to the rider as to witch style you use. If you fell more comfertable w/ the leg out style then thats fine or w/ hanging off the side w/ the knee out, road racing style. There is no right or worng way. Its all up to the rider. Hope this helps.

later

jmd

It also depends on the turn, or so I've read (somewhere). Long sweepers might be done knee out (roadrace style) while turn-and-burn bus stops might be done foot out.

I agree with both of you guys I race motocross and road race and I'm getting ready to start racing supermoto. I think the best way is which ever you feel more comfertable doing. I myself use both leg out and knee out on every lap just depending on what kind of turn i'm going through.

I agree whatever your more comfertable doing!!! I do both also depending on the corner....In the sweepers knee down i rail on the leg out guys i was riding with.. cept for a few FAST FAST guys.

My understanding:

Leaning with the bike, into the corner, means that the bike doesnt need to be leaned as far - which means that greater tire traction can be maintained; thus great speeds, control, and more thottle (sports bikes prove this point, as someone else stated above)

BUT,,, in the dirt and on the supermoto track other factors come into play. And thus we see the FASTEST SuperMoto racers keeping their center of gravity directly above the bike's center of gravity at all times (sometimes called "Virtual lean")

To my feeble mind, one of the primary factors in motorcycling is FUN. and keeping an upright, center of gravity corner is way way phunner.

Correct me if i am wrong here:

But the fastest SuperMoto riders are the ones that back-it-in. And the fastest of these are the ones with the skill to step beyond virtual lean angles, and BACK IT IN using knee-down technique (on the appropriate corners.)

But who am i? :eek:

i am having a hard time backing it in using virtual lean angles -- and it is a big jump to back it in using knee-down.

See ya on the track, doing my best to work it out......... :applause: