Sign in to follow this  

02 crf450 with AZ plates in CA

My Brother in laws Father is going to sell his 02crf 450 that hasthe baja design street legal kit on it. He bought the bike here in ca but registered it in az where he has a house. I am going to buy it because I want the plate but want to know if I can plate it here in ca if it still needs tobe registered in az. I have heard that it needs 7500 miles on it, but it does not. actually the milage is uncertin no odomiter. Does anyone know about this.

I think it's a crap shoot. Technically, you'll be on very thin ice. Maybe you'll get it registered - maybe you won't. You definately need to make sure the pink slip says there's over 7500 miles on it when it's sold to you. Then, I'd research out which DMV's are "nice" to plated dirt bikes and register it at one of those locations. Most DMV's are very picky right now. Good luck.

PS - you definately want to keep the registration in CA. Unless your drivers license is an AZ license, the state of CA requires you to re-register the bike to CA if it's here longer than a couple of weeks. The CHP and local cops are hip to this out of state registration trick and don't smile kindly on it.

This is one of those things that gets mixed reviews. I personaly know two guys who have their bikes plated in AZ. One of the guys actually has 4 bikes all plated in AZ. Neither of them have ever been hassled riding around with AZ plates and CA drivers licenses.

It all depends on where you live in Cali. If you live close to the AZ border they may hassel you. When I lived in truckee they would hassle the Cali guys that have there trucks plated w/ Nevada plates so they could get around smog.

I bet if you live deep enough in Cali you will be fine as long as you dont do something to get yourself pulled over.

This is one of those things that gets mixed reviews. I personaly know two guys who have their bikes plated in AZ. One of the guys actually has 4 bikes all plated in AZ. Neither of them have ever been hassled riding around with AZ plates and CA drivers licenses.

There's no doubt you can get away with it. You can also get away without having turn signals - or a battery that stays on for 15 min with your engine turned off. You can even get away with riding a non plated bike on the highway a lot of the time. But it's not legal. If you want it completely legal, you need to re-register it in the state of CA. Otherwise you'll always be looking over your shoulder wondering if you'll get written up if pulled over for some reason.

And more and more people are getting pulled over and checked because more and more of our green sticker money is going for enforcement. Most people around here like that. Personally, I think it's a waste of our money. Who cares what state the bike is plated in or whether the bike is green or red stickered. Why is a modern 4S red and an old smoker green. It's stupid and a beurocratic waste of time and money.

You may still need the VIN inspection, which may cause you problems if you don't have the federal "on-road" sticker.

You should call the guys at joeracerproducts.com

They are very knowledgeable about the process and may be able to help you. I recently plated my 05 wr450 and the advice that they gave me was very helpful.

You may still need the VIN inspection, which may cause you problems if you don't have the federal "on-road" sticker.

You should call the guys at joeracerproducts.com

They are very knowledgeable about the process and may be able to help you. I recently plated my 05 wr450 and the advice that they gave me was very helpful.

I will try and get a hold of them. I was looking at all the stuff at the dmvwebsite but can't find anything on it ,veryconfusing. I do want it to be all legal so iam willing to do what i have to but if push comes to shove I may chance it, but that will only be an absolute resort. anyone know any other sources I can look ay?

anyone know any other sources I can look ay?

Choosing the right DMV is the key. Read the DS forum or pm me.

I live in Redding, CA and have asked a CHP officer and a local Redding police officer regarding this subject. What would happen if they pulled me over with an Arizona plate on the motorcycle and a CA drivers license. They both said they they would not hassle me about the plate but would ticket me for the offense. They also said it was officer dependent and some may take further action.

I live in Redding, CA and have asked a CHP officer and a local Redding police officer regarding this subject. What would happen if they pulled me over with an Arizona plate on the motorcycle and a CA drivers license. They both said they they would not hassle me about the plate but would ticket me for the offense. They also said it was officer dependent and some may take further action.

If you have some sort of address in Arizona and receive your Arizona motor vehicles mail there there's not a damn thing they can do about it. How are they going to prove the bike doesn't spend most of it's time in Arizona?

Two suggestions:

1st - Leave it registered in Az and show an Arizona resident on the title - This will keep you legal in Calif. Just tell the cops you are riding the bike that weeknd.

2nd - Buy or borrow a Trail-tech computer for your trip to the DMV. You can change the milage to show over 7500 miles. The computer is under $100 and would also be a nice addition to your cycle.

As said before, choosing the correct DMV is key!! Escondido in So cal was good to me where Oceanside was a major pain in the arse.

Good luck in getting the Cal plate - it really opens up where you ride. I love having my plated bike!

Baja.

T1st - Leave it registered in Az and show an Arizona resident on the title - This will keep you legal in Calif. Just tell the cops you are riding the bike that weeknd.

Baja - this is not legal FYI. You might get away with it, but it is most assuredly not legal.

Baja - this is not legal FYI. You might get away with it, but it is most assuredly not legal.

I'm not sure how it's not legal - If you are riding "your" bike that you share w/ a family member in Arizona and the bike is "kept" there most all the time and this "one" time you are riding your bike in California and the bike is Arizona legal....There shouldn't be a problem.

Baja.

They will reference the address on your current drivers license. You can legally only have one license. If it's an AZ license you're fine, but if you reside in CA, then you legally have to get a CA license. Get the idea? They're going to get you one way or another. On your drivers license or on your vehicle license. Stupid law I agree, but law nonetheless. You can't have a out of state plated bike legally in CA for more than two weeks I believe. It might be longer, but it's definately a short period of time.

I am talking with the guys at joe racer and it looks like they can do all the paperwork and geteverything done for me without a problem. I really hope this all works out I want that plate

I don't think the 7500 mile rule applies here since the bike is over two years old. I believe a used bike coming into Calif has to be either 2 years old or has 7500 miles on it.

Jack

There's no doubt you can get away with it. You can also get away without having turn signals - or a battery that stays on for 15 min with your engine turned off. You can even get away with riding a non plated bike on the highway a lot of the time. But it's not legal. If you want it completely legal, you need to re-register it in the state of CA. Otherwise you'll always be looking over your shoulder wondering if you'll get written up if pulled over for some reason.

And more and more people are getting pulled over and checked because more and more of our green sticker money is going for enforcement. Most people around here like that. Personally, I think it's a waste of our money. Who cares what state the bike is plated in or whether the bike is green or red stickered. Why is a modern 4S red and an old smoker green. It's stupid and a beurocratic waste of time and money.

I'm with you and that is why my XR650 is not plated even though my sister owns a house in Havasu. Gotta play by the rules, as much as they may suck.