Sign in to follow this  

Magnetic Timing Plugs

Damn, I dont like the amount of shavings on the display plug......Im almost tempted to get one.....ALMOST.

The magnetic timing plug actually does most of it's work when the engine is brand new. As the new parts wear into each other they create the most metal shavings of the life of the engine. I am told the first 20 hours on the bike produces the build up that you see on the plug in the photo.

PM me if you can get your bike to PA and want to try one for free!

did I mention we'll put your bike on TV?

Damn, I dont like the amount of shavings on the display plug......Im almost tempted to get one.....ALMOST.

Hey DD, I'll let you know if it picks anything up. I don't have as many miles as you do, but I have a lot more than 20 hours, so we'll see what happens.

Hey DD, I'll let you know if it picks anything up. I don't have as many miles as you do, but I have a lot more than 20 hours, so we'll see what happens.

Right on!

On the 2-3 first oil change the oil the tranny was grey.. juste after that i start to put a quart in it. And it stop shaving. (maybe concidence: end of tranny break in)

why would you bother? of the metal your likely to find in an engine, aluminum isnt ferrous and therefore will not stick to a magnet. if you have metal shavings being deposited in your engine that are attracted to a magnet you have much bigger problems to worry about.

to me if it caught anything the only thing it tells you is that you need a rebuild.

save your money, change your oil and try not to sweat the small stuff!

why would you bother? of the metal your likely to find in an engine, aluminum isnt ferrous and therefore will not stick to a magnet. if you have metal shavings being deposited in your engine that are attracted to a magnet you have much bigger problems to worry about.

to me if it caught anything the only thing it tells you is that you need a rebuild.

save your money, change your oil and try not to sweat the small stuff!

I love it, words to live by..."don't sweat it!"

I think the cost of the timing plug is more a gadget, than something to "have to have". But... if the bucks aren't too much of a concern, it's a cool thing to know (and see) on the plug.

And to not have metal (shavings/flakes...etc) in your crankcase... would be near impossible. So any metal you find, is just "wear and tear". The only thing a "plug" could do to help... is remove SOME of the metals and allow the oil filter to work a bit better. But probably not enough to keep the motor lasting longer. Not enough for us to tell anyway.

If you REAAAAALLY wanna know... pick up a kit from Hawthorne Machinery and have them test your oil. I think what they find will scare you. :thumbsup:

http://www.hawthornepowersystems.com.webhost.nethere.net/services_oillab.html

Or here... http://www.oillab.com/ (they have a form you can fill out for a test kit)